Friday 4 August 2023

Mood Swings, from the Garden to The Swan

Those of you who have commented on my state of mind in the previous post are quite right. I do indeed sound sad and unhappy. Rereading the post has confirmed that I really must do something to retrieve my mojo before it is too late.


But, hang on a minute. Must I? However we happen to feel at any given moment, are we not free and entitled to do so? These feelings are our very own and are we not allowed to feel them? If not why not? Who says? Since Beloved's death six years ago now I have missed him tremendously and, in spite of being a person who enjoys solitude, I often feel lonely. Agreed, it is not good to overindulge in the "poor me" side of things; on the other hand I am not going to feel guilty for allowing myself a heartfelt, deep sigh now and then.

However, thank you for picking up on my unhappiness; it means that you gave attention to my post and felt close enough to say so. Thank you. I appreciate it.



If only I could get my hands back into the earth. August is a slow month in the ornamental garden, although spring and early summer have left gaps and tired patches, high summer brings exuberance and colour, and even though it is all a bit wild and woolly, I don't want to mess with it until September. I've been pruning the shrubs that flowered early, leaving them ready for next year . But the real hard work  must be left for now. In September hedges will be cut which means piles of bonfire material. From October onwards herbaceous clumps will have to  be divided and replanted. 

Hm, writing this makes me look forward to the work. Perhaps my mojo will return? I told you it is all a bit of a wilderness, very English cottage garden.

Have you ever allowed yourself to be shamed into reading a book? I have. The 2020 Winner of the Women's Prize for Fiction was 'Hamnet' by the esteemed Irish writer Maggie O'Farrell and several friends were praising it to the skies. I had actually started to read the novel, the part-imagined life of Hamnet (Shakespeare's son) and the effect his early death from the plague at the age of eleven had on Agnes (Anne Hathaway) and the family. But I had given up  fifty pages in; although able to appreciate O'Farrell's  luminous language I simply found the casual violence and brutality of the 16th century hard to take; perhaps I was in one of my 'delicate' phases when only escapism would do. 

The review in The Guardian was glowing and I trust The Guardian's critic to get it right. 

"Hamnet is evidence that there are always new stories to tell, even about the most well-known historical figures. It also confirms O'Farrell as an extraordinarily versatile writer, with a profound understanding of the most elemental human bonds – qualities also possessed by a certain former Latin tutor from Stratford."

What finally persuaded me to read it was that friends and I had been lucky enough to get much coveted tickets for the adaptation of the novel  for the stage. The whole run was sold out and this was the show chosen to reopen The Swan in Stratford after two years of Covid closure and extensive refurbishment. Tickets were like gold dust and my friend had booked our seats almost twelve months earlier.

That meant I simply had to read the book. I picked it up and started from the beginning and found I could not put it down. I think I must have read it in maybe two or three sittings. It is a wonderful book. Even those whose interest in Shakespeare is less than mine will find something in it. The one thing you do have to have to read it is a an appreciation of good writing and a deeply human story.

We had quite a good time in Stratford, I'll have to get back to it. The first outing away from Valley's End for two years!





29 comments:

  1. You are indeed entitled to your feelings. All of them. And some times we all need a paddle in the pity pool - which is only a problem when it becomes a wallow.
    I am so glad that your garden mojo is showing signs it will return. And will hunt down that book. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that you have every right to feel sad and certainly with reason. It's just worrying to know a friend (even an online friend) is sad or unhappy. I do think we all get those 'moments' to some degree, but hopefully they don't last. But if they do, possibly we need to find a way to pull ourselves out. BTW, I love your pics! That last one I had to enlarge and imagine myself in such a beautiful place. Wishing you well, Friko.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I am also experiencing sad feelings, I concur that you are entitled to feel however you do, Very often, others comment about feelings with which they are uncomfortable or find difficult to deal with, That isn't your problem. Your garden is lovely and your mojo will return. Thank you for the book information.recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my bit...you will visit this circle of grief many times and at various points. One has to journey the moods, the grief, the loneliness, the downs and the despair and be allowed to feel it at your own pace. I credit you with the intelligence and self awareness to pull yourself out when you know you're at a place of no return. I don't often comment as I'm rarely around blogland anymore Ursula but I do always read your posts. I shall just walk the way with you regardless of 'where you're at' at any given time. Enjoy that glorious garden of yours. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems I alone am the one person on the planet who did not love or even like Hamnet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know the reason, can you identify yourself and maybe explain?

      Delete
  6. Friko, don't we all know those feelings of sadness, loneliness and many others that are not really welcome. And yet, as you say, we are entitled to them - and as the saying goes, there is no light without shadow. Nobody (unless they are permanently on some kind of drug) is deliriously happy all the time. Even I get my bubble of contentment burst every now and then.
    But it makes you appreciate the good times even more, I believe.
    I like your garden - preferring overgrown to over-groomed any time.
    Yes, liking a book or not depends a lot on what state of mind we are in at the time. In "How To Stop Time" (which I have reviewed on my blog some time ago), the main character meets Shakespeare and even works for him for a while. As you say, the casual violence and brutality of those days is not easy to take.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Friko - oh yes ... we all get these feelings for various reasons ... y/our garden is a solace, yet can remind us of sad times ... but a place to sink into and ponder. I'm so pleased you've been to Stratford to see Hamnet ... also that friends are there for you ... as we are here in this ethereal world. We all need to go at our own pace ... with thoughts and I hope the garden calls you - even for short bursts ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound as though you have emerged from your slough of despair for now, Ursula. There's no 'must' to any emotion and usually no trigger for changes of mood. Trust your instincts, enjoy your beautiful garden and plan another trip to Stratford.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, I love your garden. I love the English garden style but my weather here will not allow it.

    nothing wrong with feeling morose now and then. that's the key though, now and then. this summer here has been excruciatingly hot and this month is getting hotter. I have no motivation to do anything so I'm hoping that my mojo also returns when fall arrives. and I'm glad you finally went out and enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please continue to blog; I check you regularly and was delighted to find you "back"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. who is (has) yellow shoes? are you a blogger? if so send url please. and thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  11. I didn't know of Hamnet; I learned something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad to read that you are interested in the book and you will go to the play about Shakespeare's son. Of course the gardening work will have to wait until September, the plants don't grow quickly in autumn. I will also prune bushes and roses at the end of September. Good mood in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you went back to Stratford and can't wait to hear more. I haven't read "Hamnet" either and I'm so glad you wrote about it here. (And yes, I have been shamed into reading a book more than once -- and sometimes glad, sometimes not!). Your garden is wonderful and I love that you will be able to get back to it in not too long a time.

    You make a good point about the sadness and melancholy. I find it is a mix. There's a point where it can become a bit dangerous and it can be dicey to dwell too much for too long.. But it is important to own those feelings and not feel compelled to hide them. So much of your life has changed in recent years, with the deaths of Beloved and two dogs that were a huge part of your life. Covid didn't help with anything, with the isolation and there is sometimes an unease at how involved we want to be. That has to be honored. However it plays out, I hope you can find your happy medium. It certainly sounds like returning to the theatre, which you have always enjoyed, is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. https://yeahanotherblogger.com/ Hello. I enjoyed your article.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know, even if your garden right now is a bit ragged to your eyes, I thought these photos beautiful, and it brought me back to seeing your garden in person. I have not ceased to be astonished, not least by the brilliant state of your compost! All best wishes, Friko, from us to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still a whizz at compost! My bins are still an integral part of my gardening year.

      Delete
  16. I'd not heard of Hamnet. It sounds like a book I'd enjoy; I've put it on the list for winter reading.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ah ich war lange nicht hier und habe eben an dich gedacht. ist das schon 6 jahre her mit 'beloved'?! es ist sehr traurig und manchmal ist es schwer, den weg zu finden, der dir trotz allem ein schönes zufriedenes leben beschert. es ist aber möglich, man darf sich nur nicht gegen ein anderes leben wehren, denke ich. meine geliebte grossmutter ist vir etwa 25 jahre gestorben und doch trage ich die erinnerung und den respekt gegenüber ihr in mir mit und es hilft....
    deinen garten finde ich wunderschön. eine natürlichkeit und ordnung im wildwuchs...alles gute dir! renée


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. schonen Gruss nach Luxemburg. Geht's dir gut?

      Delete
  18. I think it is good to feel something whether or not it is happiness or sadness, life goes on and our moods change day by day. AS long as you are not stuck on horrible sadness for too long. Be well:) Your garden looks great for an late summer garden! Everything looks full and lush!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’m learning to be aware of the “toxic positivity” that posters on FB and IG seem to spread around. Feelings are feelings each day and we have to maneuver through each and every one of them. “Good vibes only?” Not this minute, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My hubby died six years ago too, and I agree with you, we can have our sad times. The grieving process is different for each of us, but it can come up again and again. That is healthy and normal. Many people want us to be chipper and smiling! Now I may pick up Hamnet again, I am half way through it and didn't care to finish. My husband and I saw a play in that historic theater long ago, how lovely for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thecontemplativecat here. Your garden is lovely! Are those poinsettias in the top photo?! Whatever they are, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are coleus which comes in many colour variations. It loves being planted outside in summer although it is a houseplant in my temperature zone.

      Delete
  22. thecontemplativecat here. This could have some sly humor, but if it is a huge book, it will find a new home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are beautiful, beautiful garden photos. I bet you love it there.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.