Wednesday 29 December 2021

So this was Christmas

 

At Christmas little children sing and merry bells jingle.

The cold winter air makes our hands and face tingle.

And happy families go to church and cheerily they mingle.

And the whole business is unbelievably dreadful if you're single.

Wendy Cope


Well maybe not quite as unbelievably dreadful as Wendy Cope says but nothing much in the four lines is actually very realistic, is it now? Little children sing and merry bells jingle? Of course they do, can't you hear presents being handed over in return and cash till bells ring out in happy abandon? Cold winter air has been pushed out by climate change, we've had mild airs and uniformly grey clouds raining on us. As for the happy families trooping off to church, you couldn't fill one of our Anglican churches if you had just one service for half a dozen villages.

I was one of those who spent Christmas in splendid isolation. My son and daughter-in-law came for two nights before Christmas.They didn't have more time because they were expecting their entire mixed clan at their house for Christmas and needed to get ready for the onslaught. Don't pity me, I would not have enjoyed myself among the throng, not that I was asked.

Instead I spent Christmas Eve, the most festive afternoon and evening in the German calendar, by doing first my annual tax return and then, after successfully and relatively painlessly finishing that, by celebrating on my own, treating myself to a (genuinely) festive German TV programme, music, good food and drink and a few chapters in a favourite Christmas book, one I get out every Christmas Eve. Yes, I would have liked some company, but no, it was not unbelievably dreadful.

I usually leave my tax return until the last minute (deadline is 31st Jan), so getting it done and paying the tax due by 24th Dec is quite an achievement for me. Something to be proud of, actually; I dread and fear filling in these forms online. Other years I have to have go after go, getting it wrong each time and getting more and more flustered. This time, I firmly shut my eyes, and begged the taxman to grant me an even path, a boulderless advent to the heights of access to my account and, hey presto, it worked. It shouldn't make me happy to be allowed to pay income tax, but acc to Benjamin Franklin "nothing is certain except death and taxes", so I'd like both processes to be relatively pain free. I have yet to experience the first of them, of course. but one can always hope.

Christmas Day wasn't bad at all. Also solitary, I was still full of a sense of achievement (pathetic, aren't I?).  I had planned an indulgent day, so this is what I did: I finished cooking a delicious meal of duck breast in Hoisin and plum sauce, with a home made potato pancake and red cabbage with apple and wine. Most of the meal was part cooked already and I certainly didn't slave over a hot stove. It was delicious. While the vast majority of people in the country was choking on dry turkey I tucked into a beautifully tender and juicy duck breast. Result! To cap it all I opened a bottle of 2006 Rioja Reserva. After a chocolate pudding I had not the tiniest space left in my tummy, so sat and watched the Queen do her 10-minute-stint and promptly fell asleep.

By about six pm on Christmas Day I usually have become bored with the whole palaver, solitary or not, and I want it all to be over. So sitting watching what passes for TV holiday specials for as long as I can bear, then grabbing a favourite book, more often than not ends the big day for me. There was a time when the evening was spent reminiscing but those days are long over. Families disperse, the older generations die and youngsters find anyone over thirty boring, unless they are a favourite grandparent who is allowed, and even encouraged, to be ancient. 

Right, only New Year's Eve and Day to go. And a Happy New Year to all and sundry. If only.



22 comments:

  1. Happy New year, Frika. It sounds like a very good Christmas for you. Celebrating your life! And the taxes done, wow, that is something to strut about!

    I've had many solo Christmases and I don't know why people fuss about it. It's fine. Nobody needs to rescue you, though people say sometimes think they should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds like quite the meal you prepared for yourself. You had my mouth watering and wishing I could join you.

    Hope you have a good New Year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the privilege of this visit. I am wishing you a surprisingly good year ahead my dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Frika! You actually sound like you handled it all very well. Life is different for each of us... and how we handle it says a lot. I don't know if 2022 is going to be a good year, but I certainly hope so. It doesn't have to do much to be better than the last 2. We got to see our kids and grandkids this year, so that was better than the year before... so I have high 'hopes' for 2022 (not terribly optimistic, but hoping just the same). Good to have your taxes done. Little (or any) accomplishments are uplifting. And BTW, your Christmas Day meal sounds delicious! We didn't have a big family get-together and I simply made a roast for the 3 of us on Christmas Day. It was quiet, but fine. Wishing you a safe healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure that many singles celebrated much like you did. And there were probably a few unhappy children in unhappy families that could have missed the holiday entirely. But it does seem that most people are kind and sharing and that makes it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a wonderful family get-together on Christmas ... if only in our dreams, as the old Christmas carol says. (Actually, by Zoom, which is not as good as the real thing but better than nothing.) As we get older I guess we have to get more comfortable with our own company. Sounds like you made the best of it. Have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very happy 2022 to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did my Christmas much as you, without the taxes. Like Tom, my hugs came over the phone from far off family. The calls were divided between Christmas Eve and the Day. For sure I didn't eat as well as you. That meal sounded lovely. I also ended my day with a good book. What say we make 2022 a banner year? 2021 set the bar pretty low.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The main thing is to feel well, with no physical pain or disorder, being able to please yourself with a fine meal, book, program.
    Everything else is secondary.
    Wishing you a fabulous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Friko, this sounds absolutely splendid. We had an usually large gathering but it was quite delightful and manageable. I have enjoyed my solitude in the last few days. I was contemplating a gathering of orphans and strays for New Year's and then I gave myself a good shake.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year and may you remain well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you have a Happy New Year, Friko. 🥂

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you celebrated just as you like and enjoy, a good way to spend time. The poem mentions "single" and as a widow I qualify. The highlight for me was attending Christmas eve candlelight service with my sons, my younger son's girlfriend, and 200 joyful people. All wearing masks as required. We live in California and as we walked out the church surprised us with snow from a snow machine. I was like a child again playing in the snow. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your celebrations sounded pretty good to me.
    And a big hooray for having your taxes done. Our deadline is the 31st of October. I am behind.
    I hope that your 2022 is happier than you could possible expect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your food selections had my mouth watering, and I do enjoy a good Rioja. We have had the first white Christmas since 2008, with below freezing temperatures for a week which is highly unusual for us. Snow is falling once again this evening, and I do love how it lightens the landscape and transforms everything with a blanket of soft white.
    We were planning to attend church, and proof of vaccination was required for a couple of services, but in the end watched on line and joined in singing the beautiful carols of the season.
    Congratulations on completing your taxes before the deadline. Ours is April 30, so we have some time yet. Wishing you, and all of us, a much happier 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Christmas Eve does not sound at all unbelievably dreadful, it rather sounds cosy and good. May I ask which German program you were watching?
    And your Christmas meal sounds delicious!
    I have yet to watch the Queen's speech. I have not even watched Herr Steinmeier's, although I actually quite like him.
    Two great books (one I wanted, one I knew nothing about) are among my Christmas presents, but I doubt I will get round to starting on them before mid-January.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think a quiet Christmas where you can do exactly as you please sounds rather perfect. And so does that duck and Rioja. Now, that would be a perfect pairing. I love reading on Christmas and sometimes it just doesn't happen. Here's to a new year that I hope will be a better one for all, especially you. It's been a challenge, this pesky 2021. I think we're due for an upswing. Well, you are. Here in the states, we will have elections. Never an upswing with those! Sending tidings of comfort, joy, good health and well being in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A day spent eating what you fancy, reading good books, and doing exactly what you feel like doing sounds a very pleasant way to spend the day. But getting your tax return done and dusted must have given you a tremendous sense of satisfaction.
    Wishing you good tiding in 2022 and hopefully it will be a much improved year for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Friko - I had a day with family ... but without the youngest and her man there, because of the dreaded thingie ... it was peaceful. I"m enjoying 'solitary' confinement thereafter - been up with a friend to a local hotel where we hold dinners - getting ready for one on the 12th - life just moves along ...

    Who knows what 2022 holds - just sincerely hope it'll be easier for all the world - cheers to you and your castle - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  20. For me, the good news is that my liturgical bent gives me the opportunity to celebrate the traditional twelve days of Christmas. That means there are nearly two weeks to gather with friends who were obliged to be with the grandchildren or whatnot on Christmas Day, and this year the weather was fine enough that I went off to the refuges to see what I could see. Every Christmas, I wait with high excitement to see what gift the world will offer: this year, it was snow geese and sandhill cranes, which I haven't seen in some time.

    The greatest gift is that life here has returned to normal. The few people I know who've contracted some version of the virus all recovered rapidly and without lingering consequences. Masking, testing, and hyperventilating appear to be standard operating procedure in some parts of the country, but not here. We're all being reasonably cautious, but no more so than for the annual flu. I hope the same sense of freedom and relief for you -- not just in the coming year, but in the coming weeks. I do think the end is in sight, especially if our patterns follow those of South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I'd been there for the duck! It's been ages, as I'm the only one in our family who likes it. Sounds like you had a most satisfying holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so eloquent... even the Holidays that play out dreadfully, usually have some things to enjoy before, during or after... depending on what one thought made them dreadful or happy or memorable to begin with? I find Solitary Holidays to be less of a strain, having many personalities together can be a lot to unpack sometimes and it can all be sensory overload in not always the best of ways, can't it? Your meal sounded sublime, we waited until after Christmas to buy a discounted spiral cut Ham and have it later, it turned out excellent and at less than half the price... we had a lot of mouths to feed this Christmas, so that worked out better for the budget. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.