Tuesday 4 October 2022

Neanderthals

I read today that "The Nobel prize in Physiology or Medicine has gone to Sweden's Svante Paabo for his work on human evolution."

Neanderthals and, to a lesser extent Denisovans, have been in scientific news for a year or more. There are fewer finds of Denisovan material, hence less is known about them, although they definitely existed as hominin ancestor of Homo sapiens, the modern humans, i.e. us. 

(The first traces of Denisovans were found at Denisova Cave in Siberia in 2010. Fossilized teeth from Denisovans were later discovered in the same cave. Two upper and one lower molar were found in sediments that were dated to between 195,000 and 52,000 years ago)

Ever since I was taken to the cave in the Neander Valley in Germany as a young teenager I have been fascinated with human evolution. It was a study visit arranged by the school.


 
This visit was a long time ago, the whole class was taken on 'retreat', a kind of religious meditation and a rite of passage between childhood and emergence as young women. That my main 'take-away' from this three day outing would be seeding the first doubts in my mind that maybe the theologians at my school were not 100% the font of all wisdom was probably not the intention, although I have to stress that our religious teachers were not creationists. We had science lessons too, physics and chemistry as well as pre-history and history. 



Modern science has advanced in huge leaps since the days in 1856 when the skeleton of homo neanderthalensis *1 was first discovered. The Neander Valley was originally a limestone river canyon with rugged scenery, waterfalls and caves. Large scale quarrying changed the shape of the valley dramatically. During quarrying works the bones of the original Neanderthal man were found in a cave called Kleine Feldhofer Grotte, which is the cave we were taken to on a visit during the retreat; perhaps the school needed to imbue us with scientific zest as well as religious zest. Sadly, neither the cave nor the cliff where the bones were located still exists. Still, perhaps the destruction of the valley was not altogether a bad thing, without the quarrying operations the bones of Neanderthal *1 would not have been discovered. Since then many more traces have been found not only in the Neander Valley but in many other places all over southern, central and eastern Europe, 400 separate Neanderthals so far.

Paleontologists and geneticists have established that Neanderthals lived between 130 000 and 40 000 years ago; they coincided and bred with Homo Sapiens between 2600 and 5400 years ago, before they disappeared as separate hominids. One of the recent discoveries is that between 1 - 4% of modern human DNA comes from our Neanderthal relatives. And it turns out that Homo sapiens bred with Denisovans too: in parts of South East Asia up to 6% of people's DNA is Denisovan.

Fascinating stuff. Perhaps the Neanderthals really were the knuckle dragging, grunting, sub humans that we imagine when we now call certain types of man "neanderthal". It is somewhat unlikely though, because these early relatives of ours left art behind, in the form of cave paintings. They also lived on earth for far longer than Homo sapiens before they finally became extinct. No doubt paleogeneticists will find out much more about them as methods of scientific exploration continue to develop.

As for my visit to the cave in the valley of the Dussel in North Rhine Westphalia I remember only how very disappointed I was. We had been told that we were to be present in a place where the ancestors of early humans had lived and, being an imaginative soul, I envisaged visible and detailed traces, with maybe the odd domestic arrangement preserved for me to marvel over. There was nothing, just a cave in bare rock, without even the obligatory fire pit. They do it so much better in films. 




15 comments:

  1. I did the DNA spit test with 23 and Me and found out I'm about 3% Neanderthal ... which perhaps explains my rather prominent brow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for so brilliantly. Sharing this memory with us. Much good and clear information too. I spend a lot of time remembering how I became who I am. In fact, I'm reading a book right now by the headmaster of my very interesting secondary school, the parkway program in Philadelphia. School without Walls. I think of you and it's a pleasant Surprise when you pop up like this. I'm wishing you a beautiful autumn and an easy winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting post -- and what a fabulous experience to have had at that age. An eye opener indeed! I was very interested when I heard about the Nobel prize going to these researchers. I've been working on my own genealogy but I can't go back that far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm taking a class on the immune system now, and I am astonished at how sophisticated our bodies are. I'm sure many of the adaptations were passed along to us by these older species.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post is very interesting, and what a great exposure to science you had on your school trip. There is so much more to learn about the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always been fascinated with human evolution and palaeontology, too, and have read extensively about it when I was younger and somehow seemed to have more time for so many things.
    You probably have read "Die Höhlenkinder" as a kid? I loved that book and used to imagine myself living in a cave like they did, with not a single item bought from a shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Friko - this is great ... I know I could never see 'what was there' as a kid when I was growing up - it's only when an interest took me that I started to appreciate so many aspects of life. I got really interested back in 2013 when the Beeb did some programmes about Ice House Earth and Meet your Ancestors ... Eddie Izzard is a classic 4% Neanderthal via DNA. I noted that Svante Paabo was rewarded for the work he's been doing on the Neanderthal genome. We're lucky we live today and can access so much that interests us and can always learn more ... thanks for posting this - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am fascinated by genetics and history and how people and things evolve or don't. What a great experience you had.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faascinating stuff, schools are crying for books about the Neanderthals, non-fictionn and fiction. I wish I had the time. Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those school experiences that change us forever and spark a lifelong curiosity. The whole neanderthal/home sapiens theory fascinates me and the fact that most of us carry the DNA is mind blowing. Thanks for this post Friko.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. We modern humans are so arrogant, thinking we are the smartest best most creative, that any homo before us must have been barely able to communicate. Of course they weren't knuckle dragging, grunting, sub-humans.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We, meaning mankind, tends to view ourselves as too important and too smart and a species that will survive all. so much for hubris.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a fascinating post. I enjoyed reading all about your teen experience and exposure to science etc. a life-altering event.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, Friko: I am a poor correspondent, I know, yet I think of you often--for, as I write, as always when I come into my little study, I use our coasters of the Old Bridge at Clun and Clun Castle. Well, anyway, I thought for once I'd actually come over and say something. So glad I did. Your story of your teenage "encounter" with Neanderthals is a good one, and well told, right down to the closing line--which is useful for so many occasions: "They do it so much better in films."

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fascinating, I am disappointed the cave was not preserved though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.