Saturday 20 March 2021

Life affirming Gardens

Hallelujah, winter’s all done and dusted, bar the shouting. It is so often dark and difficult and can be very lonely. But today is the vernal equinox, the official beginning of spring. From today the days are longer than the nights and things will get better and better. It’s still coolish but nothing will keep me from getting out into the garden, unless spring turns contrary and throws rain and snow and ice at me between now and summer.

WW (Wiry and Willing, to give him his full name) and I have already spent happy hours digging (him) and me standing over him and telling him what, where and how deep, and exactly which holes to hand over to me for new planting. He created more light by filling builder’s bag after bag with  hard hedge trimmings and shrub prunings, some of which I too have provided. Since I have my new secateurs pruning is so much easier. Decent tools make all the difference. WW brought his son and his son’s truck along and between the two of them they’ve shifted a mountain of greenery and taken it to the dump. And still the mountains never seem to be any less, I can’t wait for my son to come and help move stuff. 

The other evening I felt quite miserable, never having anyone to talk to and eating every meal by myself were getting to me, so I got on to my favourite garden nurseries on the net and indulged in a mad splurge. Others buy clothes and shoes, I buy plants and books. Five boxes arrived over two days, filled with two date palms, two mahonias, three hydrangeas, three cornus , a collection of lupins and some heucheras, and a honeysuckle;  apart from the date palms, which I got at a reduced price because I spent such a lot, all plants are new, unusual varieties which I have never grown before. I have dug up large flower beds and tried to weed them thoroughly before replanting, with minor success. However, lockdown has shown me how precious life is and working myself into a frenzy over weeds is not an option. Live and let live is the new motto.

For the moment the new plants look bare and boring, just you wait until they start growing. I’ll have a jungle border soon.

The tree doctor called today; for some time I have been worried about the taller and older trees around the edges of the garden. I have lost several already. There is one beautiful green/gold cypress of 30m, an ornamental cherry and a youngish (30yr old) walnut tree, all of which have had me worried every time one of the gales has blown up the river valley from over the border with Wales. Westerlies are often quite serious storms nowadays. Probably to do with climate change, they are occurring far more often than they did. Doctor Tree put my mind at rest. The cypress could be topped and reshaped but I’d lose the  pretty lacy curlicues right at the top and the tree would no longer look natural, but ‘doctored’, as it were. As he said that the tree had done the necessary to withstand gales by growing bumps around the trunk (yeah, me neither) there was little danger that it would topple over for the next 20 years. He pronounced the walnut tree healthy enough in spite of its gnarly and split bark; that left the cherry, which he thought should have the ends of its branches trimmed; a bit like taking the split ends off in a haircut. There is ash dieback all over the country; I have several ash trees which, cross fingers, still look healthy. Some ash trees are resistant to dieback, could I be one of the lucky owners? Not just ash, other trees are dying too; it’s a problem for which there is as yet no solution. Doctor Tree seemed quite worried.

I like trees and would prefer to keep mine going for as long as I am here. Apparently, you can tell if a tree comes to the end of its life by keeping a close eye on leaf growth. If leaves grow all along the branch, right to the tip, the tree is fine, once the ends stay bare there’s trouble ahead.

The work on my neighbours’ barn still hasn’t started. I think they probably haven’t been given permission. Turning the stable cum barn into a bijou residence is what is called ‘change of use’; with listed buildings the Planning Office frequently turns such requests down. I should be thoroughly ashamed of myself but, truth to tell, I don’t much care. 



23 comments:

  1. Ah, nice tip about the branch tips, Some trees here in my domain were rather severely cut back recently. Am delighted to see them Springing to life - even to the tips! And yes, seasons are discernible here in Honolulu in our own way, Spring is magnificent with shower trees in all varieties and more. Expect I'll be sharing those presently. More tourists around Waikiki than formerly this past year. Fingers crossed. I had my first pfizer shot and feel enormously relieved. Having a human as leader is also hopeful for America. Wishing you all the best! May Spring surprise and even delight you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, here comes spring. We'll all be happy to be outside, breathe the fresh air, get a little dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy do I need a WW to do the heavy stuff for me. Still looking. So glad Dr. Tree gave you good prognosis for your trees. Has to be a bit of a relief. Also good tip about the leaf growth. Duly noted, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books and plants are my indulgences on the shopping front too. I have weakened (just as I do every year) and ordered rather a lot of spring bulbs. I will curse myself when I try and put them in, but by the time they bloom the pain will be a memory. Waiting for them to arrive I am weeding. And weeding. And weeding some more.
    I am glad that your trees are ok for the moment. Long may that continue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, honeysuckle brings back delicious memories of a heavily-laden fence and taste-testing the nectar for after-school snacks. I'm surprised you've never grown it, it's such an oldie that it's even a bit of staple in old luxe jewellery design.

    Saying tra-la to the weeds sounds the gardening equivalent of discarding a book if it doesn't grab after twenty pages. Too little time to soldier on with tedious stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love trees as well ... oak trees, chestnut trees, birch and beech, palm and spruce trees ... and also my willow tree in my yard ... and then the always present poplar trees, that seem to survive even the coldest of winters just fine ... spring prolly arrived in Europe ... my mumme tells me about Krokus and Schneegloeckchen ... Nothing like that here yet ... maybe in April, maybe in May, but surely in June :) Sending love and many "knuddles", cat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden talk makes me feel better, too. I'm glad that at least a couple of your trees are not in grave danger.

    As to your new plants, do I understand you to say that you do have experience with date palms? Will they fruit in England? I adore dates but only once visited date farms in southern California, where there are lots of them nearly in Mexico.

    We are ahead of you as to spring-y weather, but the last couple of weeks have been cold. This morning the sun shone and I did a little gardening on this first official day of Spring, for which I am much thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Gretchen, it is entirely unlikely that date palms will produce fruit in the UK unless they are under glass. I am using them as attractive plants for a slightly exotic border. They will stay in their pots for a few years and if we have a very cold - unnaturally cold winter - they will have to come inside for a spell. I treat citrus tree that way too. Out from May to Sept/Oct then back in to overwinter. Oh yes, I also have an olive tree which gets the same treatment. Come to think of it, aeoniums come in to. It’s a bit of a faff but as you can tell, plants are close to my heart.

      Delete
  8. Our former garden had two magnificent walnut trees - such fantastic leaves. But the squirrels had al the nuts. We had elms growing between the other trees when we arrived but they all died when they got to a certain age and height -such a pity. Plants and books - that's good lockdown comfort f you ask me - I keep buying camping equipment in teh online sales... one day it will come...

    ReplyDelete

  9. So good to hear you sounding so optimistic, now your days are lengthening and you can be out in the garden. Coincidentally, I’m also one who enjoys shopping at nurseries in preference to shopping at department stores - which for me represent a form of torture. I derive no pleasure at all from the latter.

    I love the plants you selected and look forward to seeing how well they settle once planted.

    It’s always heartbreaking to lose trees and such good news yours aren’t going to be suffering that fate anytime soon. Thank you for sharing the valuable information your tree doctor provided. Very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. there has been so much to do out in my combined yards since the unnatural arctic freeze. so much dead foliage to cut back, still waiting for others to show if they survived or not. I have some petunias and lobelia to get planted. I love trees too. over 30 small and large trees on the half acre that the house is on. it was one of the big selling points when we were house hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good to see your involvement with your garden and its beauty and safety. Your paradise. Long many you enjoy it!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Friko - well that's a cheery post - loved reading it and know you've been out and about and enjoying yourself in the garden - helping where you can, presiding otherwise. I too buy books ... sadly no garden, so I just dream and remember the old days. I used to pick the mahonia sprigs for my Ma to smell - gorgeous scent - plain difficult to cut: very prickly.

    Excellent you have new secateurs ... yes good tools certainly help. So pleased that the trees, so far, are surviving ... we used to have a walnut tree - from which my love of pickled walnuts grew - my parents being the thrifty ones.

    Brilliant that WW has a son who is being helpful - and I too hope your son is released from lock-down soon and can come up and help for a good clear out.

    The diseases that we've allowed to travel are going to be nightmarish ... the conker trees are bad too ...

    But enjoy the Springing of Spring and I too hope the worst of the cold has gone now - and we can have some extra daylight etc ... tonight it's just dark and cold! Next week with the time change - life will spring a bit more. All the best - and enjoy gardening ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, it's fun to hear/read the cheer and happiness in your writing today. Spring has a way of renewing not only the earth but our spirits and the latter really needs all the help it can get in this age of Covid-19.

    I love that you have a tree doctor. Not everyone can say that. I had to call one three years ago and, boy, was it worth it. My two sick blue spruces made a remarkable recovery and no longer are in danger of getting cut down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cornus are my new favourite plant. I am glad your garden is such a source of pleasure to you, Spring is such an exciting time of planning and anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope to have some help. We are still not moved into our own house after over one year. Covid messed it up. We did have the unfinished basement completed with an additional 3 piece bath and a fourth bedroom along with a lounge area.. it will be useful for live in help once we need it. We do not wish to move to any retirement places as we have Buddy to share our time with. The place will become his and care givers can be arranged by the trystees, his sisters and my sister who is ten years younger and willing.
    I like how you love your plants. They are so important.
    We shall try adding shrubs and such once we have shifted. For now we drive and spend a couple of days here and there getting used to the neighbourhood. Very friendly so far.Sadly we will not be ready to complete our move till we have completed our jabs from Pfizer. By March 26 we will all have had one dose but our second will not come till June. After that it is assumed we will be more safe. Moving requires strangers indoors and Buddy , hubby and I are not taking a risk. There is no rush. The nice part is we can shift from one to the other as it pleases us. We brought some stuff so we have it set up as a little temporary cottage with just Basics.
    I am glad you have found good help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love seeing your plantings, and I look forward to seeing them grow and prosper. Also very glad to hear the mostly good news from the Tree Doctor. It seems that you and WW have got things pretty much in hand. That's good news! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's good to hear you full of the joys of spring, as summer departs us here and there is definitely an autumn coolness (not quite a chill) in the air. It will be a pleasure watching your garden grow and bloom while we curl up for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Of course I have no garden, but I share your happiness at the arrival of spring, and am more than eager to see what develops in your garden. So many of the plants you mention are wholly unfamiliar to me, but no matter. To revise the old saying a bit, pretty is as pretty grows.

    There are a lot of people grieving for their palms here. Our ice and snow storm, combined with days of freezing temperatures, took care of a lot of illusions about living in a tropical climate. Some native palms and palmettos survived just fine, but the extravagant Queen palms and such are being cut down all over the area. What works on our far southern border just doesn't do well here, and the lesson is relearned about every twenty years!

    ReplyDelete
  19. First -- no, you shouldn't be ashamed of yourself. Period.

    I'm with you on trees. I only believe in cutting them if they are dead or diseased or if you must because of concern about roots in your foundation or it falling over. I'm so glad yours are still hanging in.

    Your new plants sound wonderful -- a couple of my favorites, too (hyrdranga and honeysuckle) and some I know nothing about . I'm glad WW is on the case! Makes me happy to know you are puttering in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel your excitement with spring growth, your beloved trees. We have red bud trees which are about to blosso. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are many trees in your garden, Friko. Of course, we are worried if they get sick. Fortunately, the tree doctor said everything was fine. I see you bought hydrangeas. They need acidic soil. Is it in your garden? If no, you need to place the coniferous needles into the planting hole. Good luck with your new plants!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm with you - I splurge on plants. Growing things keeps me centered.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.