Sunday 20 September 2020

Who said gardening is a doddle?


No wonder the stump was swaying in the recent high winds; I watched from the window in the roof and saw that not only the huge nest of dead ivy but the body of the stump was rocking. Time to call HandsomeHunk and get him to get the ivy off before it fell on the drive or maybe on my head when I was walking past under it.




HH duly came and inspected the job. "Won’t take long”, he said confidently. "I've brought my extension saw and  a long pole. I’ll be able to shift it.”





 


I usually go out and work with the helpers, perhaps a bit of supervision is included too, as I haven’t known either HH or WW (Wiry and Willing if you forgot) for long. HH comes uncomfortably early and I was still organising myself indoors. Very soon the doorbell rang although I’d told HH that I would come out as soon as I was in a fit state. I saw that he had left off the hard hat and was pushing at the ivy rather than sawing it off. 

“I think you'd better come and look for yourself” HH said. I saw that he had a tall ladder leaning against the stump. “I can’t climb that ladder”, I said. It really was much too long for me and I wasn’t sure I had the  necessary courage or agility. “You won’t have to climb up”, he said, “ you can see the problem from down here. The tree is completely hollow”. 

So it was. HH had taken off the ivy nest and the innards of the rotten stump were visible. He pushed at it  and large bits dropped off. He poked some more and sawdust came dribbling out.



After much careful prodding the ivy crown and top of the stump were off completely. But then disaster struck. The stump had been host to a large climbing rose (yes, another one of the monsters which can grow to 20 m or more, with vicious tendrils armed with even more vicious thorns) and quite unexpectedly, the bark incl. chicken wire and rose came off and thudded into the large philadelphus shrub next to it.





The bark would have made a wonderful cave for several children, except that the chicken wire which had held up the lower strands of the rose was firmly embedded in it and would have cut any child to shreds.

However, all came right in the end, after much toil and trouble. HH finally managed to salvage the foot of the tree which we saw is home to dozens of bumble bees who have burrowed into the soft timber, dislocating little heaps of natural sawdust. I will be delighted if the stump can remain as rent free accommodation for the entire insect population of the garden.


Unfortunately, I am now left with piles and piles of debris. As WW is cutting the hedge at the same time I have a problem. How to get rid? I’d love to have a bonfire but I’ve already smoked out the village once, they won’t be very happy if I do it again before they’ve had a chance to forget it and forgive me.



PS: it’s taken me hours to write this  really rather insignificant post. I am quite exhausted from swearing at Google for messing me about and changing things and making things so difficult. The uploaded photos are of poor quality, apologies. And there’s no ‘reverting to the original Blogger’ anymore either. But at least Google have found my yyys and xxxs again and several other letters they mislaid.

Blast you, Google.






31 comments:

  1. Yes, I also see we have lost our Legacy blogger interface. I'm so glad your problem has been fixed, but how to get rid of the detritus? I'll be interested to hear how you fix that problem. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardening is only a doddle if you are a watcher rather than a participant.
    I am glad that the first problem is largely solved - and love your idea of retaining an insect hotel.
    A big (and totally empathic) sigh at the rubbish removal issues.
    I loathe new blogger and have found a way to revert to Legacy Blogger. I am so grateful for the talented person who showed me how (and the link is at the bottom of my last post).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well he really is kind of a HH. Glad he found a way to take care of the mess and glad you are leaving an insect haven.
    Think you did quite well with the post, of course I can't hear you cussing over here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read a single blog where the author is saying yay for the new blogger, how wonderful it is and what took so long. everybody hates so wtf blogger?

    can't HH and WW haul away the debris? is there a place to haul it away to? good that they got the mess down. we are allowed to burn out here in the county though there has been a burn ban in place while the burn pile gets higher and higher. raining like mad now and for the next several days due to tropical storm Beta headed right for us. more water than we want but surely the ban will be lifted after it passes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must tell how you got rid of the debris! I haven't even tried the new blogger interface. What's that old saying...if it ain't broke don't fix? Or some such thing. Oh dear, I don't remember your post about smoking out the village! (Hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  6. too bad about the bonfire that sounds scrumptious for an evening with wine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The job is done, just the remains to clear. For a fee, would not HH have taken away what needed to be removed?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a project. Glad your bumble bees were in a place where they can stay.

    Honesty, I have not had much trouble getting used to the new Blogger platform. Knock on wood. I get why they needed to make changes so it would display across all kinds of devices that weren't around with the old platform was built.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not insignificant -- it's very interesting. And it's wonderful you can "keep" the bees. YOu work on computer, not tablet, right? If you're having trouble, let me know --I can't guarantee I can help but I've troubleshot a lot of problems. (Not missing words, though.) Any chance your duo can take some of the big stuff away?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for a much-needed distraction and amusement at your expense. nicely done in the end and I agree with you about the insects you've created a condo for them! Best wishes to you please stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Friko - well as Groucho Marx would say (at least I hope it is!) .... 'that's one fine mess you've got' ... I'm sure some helpful soul in the village will come and help - at least I hope so. Or perhaps your son could kindly come up again. Life ...

    It does make an excellent post - even with the difficulties in putting it up - better get to mine ... take care and I'll be thinking of your piles - good for the bugs and bees ... take care - and have a good week - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's what I like about your writing: I feel I am there. Probably stung by a bumble bee.

    By way of scant comfort: Before it gets better it gets worse. Currently in the midst of tidying my study the place is in chaos. It'll all work out in the end. The interim is painful. So much for people reminding you to live in the moment.

    U

    ReplyDelete
  13. Getting rid of brush, etc. is always the problem. I'd probably not have been nearly as excited about keeping a Bug Hotel, however, as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes you can hire someone that has a shredder and turn your brush into mulch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great series of pictures! He really did get a ton of work done...but we will be waiting to hear about how you got rid of the debris. So glad the bees can stay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, that was some job! It does look like a danger the way it was and thankfully you have HH around to help you out. Getting rid of debris is always a problem. We are not allowed to burn here unless we have a permit which seems only to go to families who have been here forever.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haven't written much on Blogger since the change ... maybe it's just time to go ... My cat Theo told me so a long time ago ... Won't miss Blogger much. Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, it's the new Blogger format for all of us, alas. I rather liked your photos as they helped me to visualize what HH was working with in your back garden. May the stump continue to offer gratis accommodation to any and all insects that need it!

    Liebe Grüsse aus San Francisco! Bea

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was quite an adventure finding out the tree is hollow; it sounds like HH knows what he is doing. Nice you have a bee condo with the stump.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that your bees have a snug, safe home to return to, and I'm certainly glad you got rid of those hunks of overgrowth before they fell on your head! Is there a specified place to take piles of brush? Or do people generally just create burn piles and wait for the appropriate conditions? In any event, a little messiness waiting for a solution isn't the worst thing in the world. Now that I think of it, that pretty much describes 2020 -- a mess waiting for a solution (or two, or three dozen).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh -- I forgot. I have a new word now. I had to look up 'doddle.'

      Delete
  21. We returned from our winter home and, regrettably, our tenants have not maintained our yard well, except for the vegetable garden they planted. No one cares as much as we do, I guess. I see lots of time out there, cleaning up. But my back and hip are not too good right now, so it will be done in bit and pieces over the next month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hear you about the new Blogger. Still trying to get my paragraphs to space properly! Enjoyed your story and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bah to the new Blogger! They have messed with photos and lay out. I am not sure I will ever adjust. Sounds like you had a carpenter bees hotel. They eat wood. How will you ever dispose of that? Wishing you a pleasant day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Of course, gardening is easy if you just watch it. But if you work hard, I bet you have a different opinion, Friko. The old tree gave many opportunities for roses, bumblebees, ivy. Sure, HH is a skilled gardener, he helped you a lot.
    Take care of yourself, stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Keeping gardens looking appealing and well maintained is an art do doodle on. I allowed my daughter to rent a property of mine and she was unable to maintain the lovely landscape. Sad. I had to hire help. In 2018 I sold it as it was in a flood area now that we get heavy flash rains and I bought a property to the north a mere 50km from our residence. It is not suffering as we have employed lawn care since the place is vacant and we visit it as we wish to get some change of scenery. It will become our resting place home as we will never go to a nursing home. It is small and gas all we need. Just need to Covid to get out of our way so we can move.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A blog mate guided me to the old interface. I am so grateful. I have no idea why they changed it except to make it more friendly to Ipads and other hand held devices. Us PC and laptop users are going the way of the dodo bird.

    You are never boring Friko but right well of our every day challenges and delights.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tree being completely hollow is not a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am always surprised to see insects hollow out a tree, making the tree dangerous. I've had trees look quite healthy, then I see ants and know there is a dangerous tree in the making. Bonfires are always a first choice. My second choice is hire a wood chipper. Debris chipped up makes good compost, fill or bedding on a path.

    ReplyDelete
  29. At first, WordPress let us keep our Classic Editor if we wanted, when they made big changes. But now even that has been changed. The older we get, the more it doesn't matter to the majority, the young ones, what we want. I don't suppose that even in China they honor the elders the way they used to! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. My goodness that was quite a project...good thing you had HH take care of it for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.