Sunday 16 August 2020

Doing Well




Sitting in the comfortable chair in my study, feet up on the footstool, book open on my lap. I am calm and quiet, reflecting on life as is and life as was. With the single exception of missing Beloved, then as now, I am content. There is no help for it, as Carson McCullers put it so movingly:

the way I need you is a loneliness I can’t bear and there is nobody who can fill that loneliness except for the one who is no longer here”,

but bear it I must. Being alive brings the obligation to embrace unpleasant things as well as the pleasant ones. Even the most determined 'look on the bright side’, and all the insistence on 'positive thinking’ doesn't provide us with a constant diet of flowers, sunsets and cute kittens. Accepting that ‘life is hard and then you die’ is a clarion call to living life, warts and all.


So, I am content. The patter of soft rain on the window tells me that doing outdoor work is not advisable for now, whereas a spot of meditation is. Yesterday, I spent many hours outside gardening, doing hard and dirty work, like mulching, potting up, cutting ivy, carrying heavy loads until I could barely drag myself to the bench in my ‘woodland garden’ (a small patch of beeches and hollies and yews. I sat there, not moving, doing nothing much at all except taking in the sounds of nature, birdsong, the murmur of unseen small creatures, the soft rustling of beech leaves in the gentle breeze.


Autumn cyclamen are appearing in all parts of the garden, a welcome sight particularly in areas which are otherwise just green, like the view from the compost heap towards the leaf mould enclosure. Everybody who comes to help in the garden admires my compost. “Did you make this all yourself ?” , asked WW (Wiry and Willing - who is fast becoming a worthy successor to "Old Gardener”);  he sunk his hands deep into the heap, rubbed the compost between them and smelled it. “It doesn’t stink at all”, he said. “Lovely”. If I am remembered for nothing else but my compost when my end comes I am satisfied. Others leave great deeds behind, works of art, pearls of wisdom, empires and the destruction of empires. Leaf mould and compost are like me: practical and useful and given to long periods of rest and just being.


For me gardening is therapy, it fulfils my need for outdoor creativity, the result is pleasant to the eye and beneficial for health and wellbeing. I am currently reading a book by Sue Stuart-Smith “The Well Gardened Mind” sub-titled 'Rediscovering Nature in the Modern World’;  she says:

Like a suspension in time, the protected space of a garden allows our inner world and the outer world to co exist free from the pressures of everyday life........
there can be no garden without a gardener. a garden is always the expression of someone’s mind and the outcome of someone’s care.”

For now the world within my hedges and walls is my castaway haven and this morning, looking out of the kitchen window while putting on the kettle for my morning brew I saw movement round the foot of the bird table. My blackbird fledglings are back, dad had brought two of them and they were all three picking busily at the ground. I call them ‘my’ fledglings although they may be another family entirely, but it feels good to believe that I have done my modest little best to help them survive during their most vulnerable time. I sincerely hope mum and dad call an end to breeding now, this must have been their second clutch for this year’s summer; in a good long summer garden birds with a ready supply of food and clement weather can have three sets of young.

The rain has stopped, should I cook my dinner or go outside ? Yesterday evening I was so tired I couldn’t bear the thought of cooking,  so all I had was a bowl of rice crispies. Perhaps I had better prepare a meal before I go out.





44 comments:

  1. Compost, black gold, is one of the most valuable things you can do for the earth. No prizes, except the best one, the prize of a wonderful garden.

    This was a lovely post to read on a rainy day here, on the other side of the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gentle, sweet post to brighten the day of those who follow you, Friko. I loved every word and now must go back and read it again, to give myself another frisson of joy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post, and a wonderful book reading suggestion...

    Thank you, for a marvelously word-y post. Full of ideas and musings and thoughts and feelings. A quite perfect kind of a post, to me.

    So much better, than those *dreaded* Hodge-Podge sort of posts! Eeeeek! Where someone types out a bunch of questions... And many bloggers copy it, and use it, as a blog post prompt.

    Do people really need 'Prompts,' to think???? ~smile~


    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was like a deep breath of fresh air. Lovely photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rice Krispies are a lovely Summer's evening dinner I enjoy myself. I too am content with my daily tasks and nature despite the Maelstrom. This is wonderful to read. Always a pleasant surprise to see your dispatches. Take care 💕

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Friko.
    This is a truly beautiful post and mind set.
    Huge thanks.
    And I do love your sitting and absorbing chair.
    On this side of the world my cyclamens are also starting to bloom and I am loving their starry brightness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could almost feel the warmth and richness of the compost. Hey, I would love amazing compost to be my claim to fame. What a comfortable visit with you, the garden and the fledglings. Nice to know in some parts of the world, all is right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A thoughtful, well-written post, Friko, with much for us all to ponder. I suspect that most of us have no illusions about our legacy. We will pass into obscurity as so many have done before, and that is the way it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A pleasure as usual...Nothing wrong with cereal for dinner if that is all you want. My aunt always said if you want happiness, have a garden. She was right and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Much love, friend Friko. Always, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post, full of contentment and the importance of living in the moment. Gardening makes me feel much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I envy your calm and contentment. I hope to find that place within at some point in the future that comes from living in the moment and appreciating what is before you. Nicely done post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've left a smile on my face this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The axiom of the Stoic philosophy is life is full of sorrows yet we endure and do OK enough; we persevere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed your post very much. It evokes that quiet contentment in spite of the limitations of words.

    I would be pleased out of my socks if someone praised my compost as WW did yours. Making compost of any quality is something I've never done; my hope and plan is to raise worms and let them use all my green refuse that way. A gardener who likes to get his hands into the compost is a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  16. my personal belief is that when humans have no exposure to the beauty of the outside world and gardens they go a little insane. I read that in Japan, one treatment for depression is spending time in the woods. makes sense to me. I love to dig, to turn the soil, to crumble it in my hands, to inhale those happy making organisms. too damn hot now. but come fall, I'll be spending hours in the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely and wise post. Faith is a Lab mix, I don't know the other part(s) of her. She is not a big dog, her coat is black with some white on the chest. Interestingly, my husband saw her father and said he had long fur like Samson with some white, but not all white. Of course he didn't think to ask what breed he was. I see pit bull as does the vet and she has a terrier personality at times. Who knows, the circles are there and thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too enjoyed your post, Friko, and occasionally eat a bowl of cereal for supper myself. I especially like the picture of the chair under the tree. It must be wonderful to have such a beautiful garden to spend time in...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Friko - this is a post to relish for us all ... solace-making to say the least ... but so glad to read your rain has been soft. I'm pleased for you ... and that WW is turning out so well ... to become Worthy, Wiry and Willing ... great to read that he tested the compost - loved reading that. Enjoy the peace and knowing that you're achieving so much in the garden - it looks idyllic ... beautiful. All the very best - with lots of thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd cook my meal and then take it outside, if it was me!

    I love this post. It's so honest and speaks so beautifully for your love of the land, the garden and earth and the way it helps you move through your days. I love the concept of being happy to remembered for your compost. I know it is terribly hard work and I so admire all you do with it -- and so well.

    This: "Being alive brings the obligation to embrace unpleasant things as well as the pleasant ones." I am saving this quote FOREVER!

    I have a survey on my blog about new blogger. If you're interested, come over and share some of your feelings. I plan to do a wrap up of it, maybe next week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds like such a lovely balance to your life, the passion of the garden and the fact you can take such solace in such brilliant surroundings. What a lovely post, so calming and grounding.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  22. We are getting into autumn. Still warm here, but not hot. Now I can sit outside and watch the goldfinches strip the seed heads from the coneflowers and the cardinal decimate my sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Giving back to the earth with your “lovely” compost is not a bad thing for others to remember about you, Friko. The world is full of takers and our planet is the worse for it. In a garden, we work with nature (although there are some arguments) and find the peace and satisfaction that we all seek. It is not for everyone but I think that people like us are very blessed to have this need.

    My favorite quote of Eleanor Roosevelt is on a plaque in my home. “Where Flowers Bloom, So Does Hope”. I believe that to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your "castaway haven" in your gardens, I like that. Is that pretty iron bench and table yours? It is such a tranquil spot to sit and to read. I relate to the Carson McCullers quote, as it will soon be the 4th anniversary of my dear hubby's death. Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your work in the garden is producing spectacular results ... what a great place to find peace, quiet, solace and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad you've kept on writing. I love to read you, no matter the subject. This was, as others have said, a lovely post. Tranquil. restful, soothing. It would be a pretty nice thing to be able to share your garden with you for an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a lovely post, so filled witht he realitioes of life. I find it so relaxing to sit int heback yard, look at the birds ont he feeder and listen to the crickets gossiping and birds yammering. It is the little things that make life enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your quote made my heart cry and the calm and beauty of your garden dried my tears.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful post..I love to garden too, but in Florida this time of the year, it can be quite hot and muggy. But I persevere

    ReplyDelete
  30. The garden makes a wonderful hobby. There is always something to be done and our efforts show beautiful results. You garden is truly a labor of love, as is mine. Our loved ones, since passing, definitely live on in our hearts and minds.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That happens to me where I get too tired to cook. I have frozen meat pies, frozen pizza, etc. in the freezer for just such times, although frequently I am not even all that hungry. I love your yard and it seems that everyone is gardening now as a respite from the pandemic. I think you are healing, but it does not mean it is any less painful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. ah, to sit with a book in a quiet beautiful garden created by one's own hands.

    ReplyDelete
  33. All sounds quite relaxing with the garden work done for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  34. A lovely, reflective post, and you know that you are talking to a true gardener when they rummage their hands enthusiastically through your compost! I think these strange times are making many people sit back and consider what is really meaningful to them.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Spending time in Nature is always rewarding and, for me, relaxing. It provides a deep and profound calm; it resets my very soul. Appreciation for all aspects of Nature was a gift my father gave to me, and I am grateful for it always.

    Lovely writing here. A pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I heard a story somewhere about a man who worked hard at making his garden beautiful. A stranger was strolling by one day and stopped to chat. "Isn't it wonderful" he said to the gardener, that God can make a garden like that?"
    "Aye," replied the gardener drily, "but you should see it when God's the only one tending it..."

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's a pleasure to read your post, Friko. Your thoughts are optimistic, you garden a lot, you're proud of the compost you have made yourself, you have new family of blackbirds in your garden...
    That is a life, dear, without TV news, radio, bad reports from other countries. It's our little world, of peace and quietness.
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely post. Just reading it made me feel a sense of calm.
    Your gardening feels like hard work in my case. Allergies have kept me from that task for many years now.Wonder what you cooked?

    ReplyDelete
  39. You have been busy in your gardens it must be good therapy for you. The tiredness at the end of a productive days is good...:)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm so with you on gardening being therapeutic. I spent a few happy hours today working on transplanting some things and felt restored.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Even kittens, rainbows, and pretty sunsets can get boring after a time. It's the admixture of life's pleasures with its curiosities and sorrows that I love. Blake got it right in his "Auguries of Innocence" -- "Joy and woe are woven fine, a clothing for the soul divine. Under every grief and pine, runs a joy with silken twine.”

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.