Sunday 9 August 2020

Blackbirds, Rosie and Books

Whatever am I going to do about my resident fledgling blackbird? Or maybe blackbirds plural?


About 8 to 10 days ago I first noticed that there was a very young blackbird hopping around close to the back of the house on the terrace. There is a bowl of fresh water standing there as well as access to various kinds of bird foods, both on the ground and in the air. I know that blackbird fledglings are fed by the parents after they’ve left the nest and, also, that they don’t learn to fly until then. (Google is wonderful - I didn’t know any of that) Their food is grubs, worms, insects, not so much grain or fat balls. Above is the first photo I took, seeing its properly formed tail I thought the youngster would soon be off.


A few days later I took this photo of another young bird. At the time I thought it was the same bird as the first. This one too kept hopping about close to the house and the patch of ground just in front of the back terrace where I have some shrubs and a few herbaceous flowers.


Yet a few days later, maybe 2 or 3, I saw this little chap (or girl - I can’t tell at this age) which seemed to be a bit younger than the other (?) birds, fluffier, downier. All had exactly the same behaviour pattern, they all skulked around in the same very small area, frequently nodding their  head up and down, up and down, appearing to find breathing difficult. After minutes of nodding, they all sneezed and coughed, ending with a soft little chirp.


This morning this little chap turned up, again nodding and sneezing and picking at the crumbs I’ve spread on the terrace. Are they all the same bird? Do all blackbird fledglings constantly nod, opening and shutting their beak, and shake their heads and sneeze?

I am obsessed with my lodgers, checking on them first thing in the morning, keeping them close to the house because of marauding cats. Shouldn’t it be flying by now if it’s the same bird? I’ve seen them drink from the water bowl and pick at the crumbs I’ve provided. They hop about quite actively although there are always long breaks in the hopping while they are sitting still, in full view of me and possible predators. The problem is that I haven’t seen the parent birds feed them. That’s not unusual but what with me spending hours watching the fledglings ( from a suitable distance) I’d have thought I’d have caught them at it. Grown up blackbirds are quite tame in my garden, they stay close to my feet and spade, waiting for me to produce worms, when I’m digging the earth. 

Oh dear, I am so worried, I want them to fly off and lead happy blackbird lives and sing beautiful songs for me.
o-o-o-o 



This is the new wall, trellis and door frame, seen from inside and out. A new door has also been installed. Rosie’s trunk is visible again and shows promising new shoots. I shall have to weed round her feet, provide her with a good mulch of compost, some rose feed and a few drinks. Next year she’ll be as good as new, ready to snag and scratch anyone’s hands who tends her without taking the greatest care.

o-o-o-o

In just two sittings I read a most extraordinary book about a woman who escaped her successful London life by moving to the wilds of an island in the Scottish Hebrides. to run a derelict croft. She describes her existence there which, initially an idyll, soon turns into a fierce struggle for survival. She lives the rawest, most pared back life, poverty stricken, ill and lonely, and always facing the hostility of the islanders who resent all incomers. But this is not a misery memoir, it is a triumphant tale of rebirth and renewal, with nature being the driving force.

It is hard to believe that this story is entirely factual, once or twice I said “No” in shocked accents and, of course, of
necessity, it is a wholly one-sided account. But, even if only the half is true, it really is breathtaking. The language too is beautiful, the most lyrical description of nature I have read in a long while.







30 comments:

  1. I love how you worry about your blackbirds. I do the same with my mourning doves.

    Wall line is looking good! And so does that book sound good. I'm going to put it on my Amazon wish list for when I'm in the mood for a man-against-nature novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I just checked on 'I Am an Island' and Amazon only has a hardcover available for $50! Guess I won't be reading it.

      Delete
    2. I wouldn’t worry too much, it’ll soon be cheaper and probably in paperback. It’s only just come out.

      Delete
  2. Love your little birds. I'm guessing they're okay ... because a watched bird never feeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished reading "Walking the Salt Path" by Winn. It was a very easy read but sounds similar to that which you just read. A couple facing the challenges of poverty and outdoor existence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birds, watching them, feeding them, worrying over them has become a big part of my life too.
    Last week I took an unwell corella to the vet (being severely bitten for my pains). I do hope that it is now in a wildlife rehab centre, but console myself that if it is not, its ending was quick and painfree.
    That book looks and sounds amazing. Thank you. And drat you - I really don't need any more books which doesn't stop me from weakening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to be able to escape into a good book, either fiction or non-fiction. I recently purchased Mary Trump's book on her family. It reads like a memoir & I have been very moved by her telling of her father's story. I do not want to feel any sympathy for The Donald or his sibs, but it would seem that none of the Trump children came out unscathed by their upbringing. May the Vögelchen friends survive into adulthood!

    LG Bea x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hard not to worry about them, so vulnerable as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A watched bird never flies or eats, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so surprised by your post U, I have had very similar worries with fledglings at my place too. It really does overtake ones life...one just wants the wee things safe and off flying!
    I love tales of women overcoming great adversity, I should think the book would be very good indeed. Your wall is just lovely, I do wish I had one....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like books like these; the comfort me, they stiffen my spine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your trellis wall. Also we have a number and bvariety of birds in our back yard which we provide food and water. Today I saw an enormous hawk sitting on our fence as if our yard was a buffet. I tossed a pillow at it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blackbirds look different than ours.

    That book sounds like something I'd love to read - I'm going to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Friko - the poor little birds don't look too happy do they, but I sincerely hope they live long lives. At least there's water and feed for them ... while more importantly I hope Mum blackbird is nearby. So pleased the rose is free to grab hold of a new life, and wander free again ...

    Wonderful review of 'I am an Island' by Tamsin Calidas ... sounds something worth reading and then seeing more about that part of the world ... Hirta, part of St Kilda's - a story on those islands. I'll definitely look it out ...

    Take care - it's been boiling down here ... I am not good in the heat - so thank goodness for some sea breeze. So pleased to see things have been happening in the garden, while you've enjoyed some reading too ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blackbirds are aggressive pests here, and they don't really look the same. I remember reading a book maybe thirty years ago about a single woman living in crofter cottage. I think it was called A Seal Summer. You must show us more photos of your 'rambling?' garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have placed "I am an Island" on my TBR list. Your review is compelling, Friko and I will give it a try.

    Please keep us apprised of the blackbird's plight. I, too, have fretted over birds, especially fledglings here from time-to-time. I wonder if they parents are watching, hiding or if they are gone. Our blackbirds are a very aggressive here in Illinois. They are known to dive-bomb walkers and bike riders that come too close to nests. At any rate, let us know.
    Now, I am swooning over your trellis wall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to worry about my birds when I had feeders on the front porch. I stopped when I realized that they were taking over my days! And so many hit out front window and died, it was so hard to care about them and have no way to help. I'll look for that book, it sounds really interesting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh those wee birds, I feel your pain. I always worry. Hate when nests are raided. Even though natural order. Just noted your book recommendation.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poor little birds! I am amazed that there are any young birds around this time of year; over here, most of the breeding and rearing ended months ago. Hopefully, the little ones will make it; if not, some other animal will be happy about a good meal. Cruel? No, simply nature's way, but not something we want to witness.
    As for the book, it has been mentioned on several blogs recently. There seem to be polar opposites of reviews- people either loved it or hated it. Interesting when a book can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never having seen a bird sneeze, I had to look it up and they actually do to clear dust from their nostrils. Makes sense. Hope your little friend gets airborne soon. Know you will relax a bit.
    That book sounds really interesting but the price will have me checking my library. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. it may be the same bird if you only see one at a time. odd that it is staying in the same place. the fledglings around here move from spot to spot or rather they follow the parents around. I usually only read fiction but I may try and find that book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know nothing about birds. But coughing and having difficulty breathing, can't be good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Watching over your shoulder and wishing them well with you. A fine respite post for me. I feel rested with perspective now. Thank you, [U}

    ReplyDelete
  22. When still living on the farm, I always worried about everything so very much, friend Friko ... the chickens, the geese, the cattle, the pigs ... next thing in Aug/ Sept night frost usually comes ... which leads to harvest and thus ... dying ... in order to feed new life, hmmm? Knuddles, c.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely post. I could read about nature all day as it soothes my anxious mind. I also would love to read that book as you gave it such a rave review and it does sound like something I would enjoy.

    We just had three fledglings also and I watched the comings and goings of their parents for a week and heard the sounds of their hungry babes. The nest was in a large hanging planter that hung high from my front porch. I had stopped watering the plant so the family would not drown. Unfortunately, we had very high winds and seven inches of rain last week and when I peeked in afterwards, there was no one at home. I really hated to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your care for the little blackbirds is endearing. I would worry, too, and I cannot offer any suggestions or advice.
    I am an Island certainly has mixed reviews. The people who live in the area she writes about are not very happy with her characterization of them as unwelcoming and unfriendly. I just finished The Salt Path and it has me thinking about many things.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am very happy to note that the blackbirds are treating you as a special friend, Friko. Be sure to take good care of them. And take good care of yourself too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, how I love how you are caring for the blackbird babies. You know far more about birds than I do -- and I see David commented. When I have a bird question I always ask him and since he didn't mention anything odd, I think you must be doing everything just right. Your photos are great. I was wondering from how far they were taken -- they don't seem to be frightened of you, but on the other hand it could be a big zoom. I'd be worried about the predators and cats, too and I am glad you are taking good watch. I can imagine you sitting close but not too close with a fabulous book, keeping one eye on the page, the other carefully surveying the garden for intruders.

    Thanks for telling us about the book. Seems like an interesting book to read during Covid isolation!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like a book I'd like to read. So long as they're not misery memoirs, I love to hear peoples' accounts of their real lives and challenges. Endlessly fascinating. Good luck with the blackbirds. I have to say I have never noticed them coughing. I am just a tiny bit surprised that they're only fledgelings... I thought the fledglings had all hatched ages ago. Maybe blackbirds are different.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Friko, I so enjoyed reading your words about the blackbirds, possibly three youngsters. I found myself holding my breath, afraid that something untoward was going to happen to them. And maybe something did--that is, maybe something has happened to the parent birds. I hope you fill us in on this in your next posting.

    Thanks for writing about the book. I'll look to see if the library here has it or will buy it. I'm trying not to buy books anymore as I'm trying to practice being somewhat frugal and save for a project that I've been planning.

    Hope all is well. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.