Friday 6 March 2020

By no Means a Surfeit of Culture (part 1)

Surfeit: (noun) an excessive amount of something

or , acc. to Duke Orsino in Twelfth Night Act 1, scene 1"

If music be the food of love, play on,
Give me excess of it; that surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.


Well, for me it wasn’t an excess of anything, just enough, more like, and there’s more to follow yet, and certainly not enough to sicken the appetite; rather, let me call it a sufficiency.


The Sleeping Beauty is a grand, formal and very human ballet. It's packed full of radiant dancing and touches of observation, often both at once; it is danced with great depth, contrast and warmth.

 Magnificent scenery, exquisite costumes,
Tchaikovsky’s exuberant score, and a huge cast, what’s not to like? And, of course, it all ends happily-ever-after, Princess Aurora is awakened by Prince Florimund and wicked Carabosse disappears, never to be seen again.


Nobody speaks, is betrayed, dies or goes mad in Jerome Robbins’s ballet “Dances at a Gathering,” but this hourlong, pure-dance work, set to an anthology of Chopin piano pieces, is nonetheless a multilayered masterpiece of theatre.

"Within months of its 1969 premiere (with New York City Ballet, which revives it this week), there was so much talk about its characters and narratives that Robbins (the choreographer)sent a letter to the quarterly Ballet Review written like a telegram: “THERE ARE NO STORIES TO ANY OF THE DANCES IN DANCES AT A GATHERING. THERE ARE NO PLOTS AND NO ROLES. THE DANCERS ARE THEMSELVES DANCING WITH EACH OTHER TO THAT MUSIC IN THAT PLACE.”

You make of it what you will. You could, like I did, simply watch and follow breathlessly, as Chopin’s various pieces unfold, with music and dance merging into one brilliant experience.

As good as Sleeping Beauty and Dances at a Gathering were they came nowhere near the brand new ballet 'The Cellist', the story of the life of Jacqueline du Pre, who died, at 42, 30years ago. The story is told through the instrument, which is danced by Marcelino Sambe, and goes from her childhood and first lessons through her years as a player of extraordinary talent to her illness and death, the cello falling silent at last.

It was a breathtaking performance, inspirational, powerfully affecting, utterly moving. I rarely go overboard for a ballet, but see this if you can.

So what a huge difference the film of ‘Downton Abbey’ was compared to anything else I’ve seen during the first two months of the year. Firstly, the theatre was crammed full of old people, many on sticks, in wheelchairs, pushing walking aids, accompanied by carers. Chatty and lively, excited to be 'out on licence’, humming like bees in a beehive, they were shepherded to their seats, where they stayed, relatively quietly, waiting for their favourite show to unfold and Maggie Smith’s acerbic comments to tickle their funnybone. There was much laughter at the appropriate moments and quite a few satisfied sighs when Downton’s ‘belowstairs’ got one over on the Royal entourage.

Personally, I thought the film was harmless fun, nothing to get excited over, rather painting-by-numbers and predictable; I watched the TV series and this was in much the same vein. I expect you’ve all long seen it and enjoyed it. I did too, finally.




22 comments:

  1. You have made me want very much to see that third ballet about the cellist. I hope that will eventually be available to stream. Thank you for the surfeit of information, Friko! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Aurora is awakened by Prince Florimund and wicked Carabosse..."

    Those names! 😂

    You make me want to go to the ballet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I studied the picture of the cello ballet for ages trying to decipher the figure in brown, how nonhuman it looked, was it being lifted, supported, what..then all came clear.

    Jacqueline du Pre was one of my musical heroines. I saw her on TV as a little kid with total musical command, and no nerves. You really knew you were seeing genius at work even then. Her illness was the cruellest blow.

    I'm glad she's remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adored Du Pre And would love to see this incredible ballet. Everyone is raving. Haven't seen the Downton fluff piece yet but it's on my radar.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only been to the ballet once in my life to see the Nutcracker, probably had to do with my daughter that was taking ballet, and I don't think I've ever been to a modern dance performance. but I always liked to dance myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When Downton Abbey was in the movie theaters here in the States it we SO popular. I went with six others who were all fans of the series and they absolutely loved it. I, however, was hopelessly lost the whole time. But it was a fun outing. I would have preferred seeing a live showing of Sleeping Beauty but we don't have a ballet company here in town. You are lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea that there was a Downton Abbey film, and I doubt I'll ever watch it, unless maybe it will be shown on telly on a night when I have nothing else to do (or watch).
    As for Sleeping Beauty - that is my all-time favourite ballet, I think! Many years ago, I saw it it Stuttgart, put on stage by Marcia Haydée and with the wonderful Richard Cragun as Carabosse. A performance I will not forget as long as my brain functions the way it does now. Breathtakingly, overwhelmingly beautiful and enchanting it was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's exactly how I felt about the movie. I loved the series. Required viewing -- more than once. The movie was like cotton candy. Nothing wrong with it but it left me feeling "where's the bite?" Pleasant and fun in its way but a bit like Julian Fellowes was slacking. I hear another is in the offing. I'm not sure how I feel about that (especially since Maggie Smith will no doubt be out of it.) I adore watching ballet. I hated taking lessons, never could do it. Never wanted to. But how I admire those graceful dancers, the breathtaking lifts, the beautiful music. I'm so glad you had such a delightful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The du Pre ballet has had rave reviews. I share her illness (though not her talent) and grieve that she was silenced so soon.
    Yet to see any of Dowton Abbey. Later. Perhaps.
    I am very glad that you have been having an elegant sufficiency of culture. Long may it continue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have never seen a live ballet performance but would love to. You should feel fortunate. The curse of living in small towns most of my life. I will keep my eye out for the du Pre ballet though.
    Didn't get to see any of the Downton Abbey series so the movie would probably lose me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen a ballet either... have no idea if I would like it (think I might). Did watch Downton Abbey on TV and saw the movie on DVD. Enjoyed both...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore your clear writing and the fine voice you've acquired! "harmless fun, nothing to get excited over, rather painting-by-numbers and predictable"

    ReplyDelete
  13. The life of Jacqueline du Pré, and her untimely death, is surely one of the great tragedies of all time. She made the cello her own. She was simply without compare and more than any other musician I have ever seen seemed to be taken over by the music she was playing, almost as though she had no control over her own being. She was married to Daniel Berenboim who has espoused music as a unifying influence between the youth of Israel and Palestine, so in a way perhaps her legacy lives on through him. I cannot imagine that having lived with her he has not been profoundly influenced in some way for the rest of his life. I had not thought of her for a long time so thank you for reviving these memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another here who has never seen a ballet. I have seen Downton Abbey, though, and the movie. The series seemed to have more depth than the movie but I still liked seeing those characters again. Glad you were out and about having a glorious time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't know anything about ballet … but looove Tschaikowsky's music! Always, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Feasts for ears and eyes, and a wonderful sufficiency of culture. All the outings sound lovely. The Downtown Abbey movie was lighthearted fun, but not memorable as the others would be.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd seen ballet 'The sleeping beauty' many years ago Friko, in St. Petersburg Mariinsky theater,it was amazing show, many of artist were talented and in the same time very young. The movie 'Downtown Abbey' I should see after your review.
    Happy women's day!
    I wish you much health, good mood and success in gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The fluid synchronized body movements are amazing. I enjoy your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We followed Downton Abbey on TV, but were not interested in seeing the movie version. Enuf already! I do like the ballet, even tho' I don't know much about it. Wish we could get there more often

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've seen the Nutcracker, just once. That makes the score Ballet 1 -- Downton Abbey 0.
    Not only have I missed the movie, I never saw the television series, and despite feeling as though I "should," since so many people I know raved about it, I just can't bestir myself to do it.

    I do love ballet, and have since taking classes when I was young. Have you ever seen the masterful video of Sting and Alessandra Ferri? I think you'd enjoy it. It's quite compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Friko - I never watched Downton ... but did see the film, and wasn't that impressed. The ballet looks and sounds from your description wonderful ... all the best now - Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.