Friday 8 May 2009

What is happiness, pt.2


I asked the question this morning, and this evening I found, maybe not the answer, but certainly an answer in John Dryden (1631-1700), translating Horace:

Happy The Man

Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own;
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.
Be fair or foul, or rain or shine, 
The joys I have possessed, in spite of fate, are mine.
Not heaven itself upon the past has power,
But what has been, has been, and I have had my hour.

It is the old adage:   CARPE DIEM   -   Seize the Day

1 comment:

  1. Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today. If you like what you do today, you can do it again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.