Friday 31 January 2020

The Taxman, Viruses, Kindness and Otherwise

There is just about still time to wish you all a happy and peaceful new year. Had I waited until tomorrow, being February, it might have been both embarrassing and possibly even offensive. If only we could all assume that 2020 will be less harrowing than 2019 was, what with the horror news from so many parts of the world. Although the WHO’s warning of a global epidemic caused by an unknown strain of coronavirus doesn’t give cause for much optimism for the next few weeks.

Talking of the virus, one of the Ladies Who Lunch brought it up as a subject and the oldest member of the group, at 92 at least a decade ahead of the next oldest member, instantly remarked :”Well, I hope it doesn’t come here.” And, I am certain, she was definitely not thinking of anyone’s wellbeing but her own. It surprised me, I would think that at 92 continued life is precarious anyway. There was no empathy for anyone suffering the effects of the virus, which one would consider to be the automatic response to start with, just “not me please,” Does one get more selfish the older one gets? Of course, nobody, me included, welcomes any kind of illness, world-wide or localised, but a little of the milk of human kindness towards others goes a long way to make life pleasant. Or am I wrong? Too much rose-tint?

After two months of silence from me there may not be anyone interested in my thoughts. I developed a positive aversion to using my computer. I spent hours on the iPad and my phone, checking up on news and opinion pieces, but couldn’t bring myself to open the Mac. The reason is positively weird: I had the greatest trouble accessing the taxman’s site. Since October I have struggled to convince HMRC (Her Maj’s Revenue and Customs for those of you lucky not to have dealings with them) that I exist, that I have lived and worked and paid taxes here for decades, and that all I wanted was to be allowed to continue with the latter part in retirement. Do you think they believed me? Endless repeats of trying to gain access, endless rebuffs; each time I was told : you have tried to prove your identity too many times, come back in two days’ time. I sent emails, requests for assistance, even a long and heartfelt letter, all without success. So, since I use my Mac for official communications, (as well as blogging), it became my enemy, because HMRC remained closed to me. In the end I rang them. In an hour long call the first person I was referred to couldn’t help; the next person, a superior tax adviser person, scratched her head and was willing to cut me off when she was equally as flummoxed as the first.

I have to say that I am very good at begging and pleading and announcing my great age, and therefore great need, to all and sundry in the cause of soliciting assistance. Quite shameless, that’s me. So, once I had a real life person on the line rather than an uncaring computer, I begged and pleaded for all I was worth, even explaining that I was quite likely to be deported if I couldn’t prove my willingness to pay the correct taxes. I forgot to say that one of the questions the soulless computer threw at me many times, was, “do you have a valid British passport?” I don’t, but what has that to do with the price of fish, i.e. tax payments?

The superior tax adviser person softened and, during a further hour long phone conversation, dreamt up a whole new persona for me, going back to my tax records of years back. In the process she and I discovered that I have two “Unique (yes, unique) Tax References, two addresses, and two names. I think I am going to start next year’s tax returns right at the start, i.e. next April. And perhaps I’ll use a paper return. Last year I paid my accountant £600 to fill in my tax return, I am not willing to be fleeced again for work I have already mostly done myself, so now that this year’s return is done I am hoping that next year’s will proceed more smoothly.

I should mention that Christmas was fun. Ten days beforehand my son came; he put up the tree, with me giving instructions. We had  Christmas music, a festive dinner, some convivial family chat and rekindled old memories. This visit, on his own, is becoming a tradition I love. He also took me to the county town for a shopping trip; he carried my purchases between shops and car, which makes it all so much easier for me. I quite dread having to stumble my way through crowds, burdened with bags.

My friends were the real stars of my Christmas. Sue said I might as well come for Christmas Eve dinner as well as Christmas Day itself, which was really kind of her. She had some houseguests too and we all got on very well - no Brexit fallings out - and after a lengthy and leisurely dinner we read ’The Importance of Being Earnest’ with me taking over the role of Lady Bracknell. Halfway through the read-through my voice started to go which made it all the more grittily posh, just what is needed for the part. It was great fun and so much more so than slumping in a chair, replete with overindulgence and half drunk as well.

My voice going was a harbinger of the chest infection to come, which started more or less on Boxing Day and only stopped when the practice nurse forced me to take a course of steroids after New Year. I was really quite poorly with a cough to rattle every tooth in my head. The infection was doubly disturbing because I have recently been diagnosed with a recurrence of my childhood asthma. Apparently that is not uncommon, childhood asthma will frequently show itself in old age, when we become more susceptible to allergies. Strange that, you’d think we’d have become inured to many infections because we’ve had and survived so many of them through life. Not so, it seems.

I have mentioned Brexit but once today; in common with many friends I am sick and tired of the whole business, depressed too. In an hour’s time I am off to a Brexit wake party for remainers only.
I’ll be back here soon, unless we all throw ourselves off the castle battlements.






29 comments:

  1. You're here! So glad to see your name!

    My mother suffered through life long asthma as well. Keep well, take care of yourself! Love your son.

    I appreciated your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Susan I am thrilled to see another post from you.
    2020 has been scary so far. And devastating on to many fronts. Happy and New Year don't melt well yet - but I hope they can again.
    And do hope that your connection to the tax people remains and that your health improves (and stays improved).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you, friend Friko:) I was starting to think that you pulled a … "Frikxit" on us:) Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is good to hear from you, Friko. And yes, the world does seem to be having weird problems... and like you, I'm sick and tired of it... to the point that I hardly watch the news anymore. I truly hope that 2020 will be an improvement (although unfortunately I have my doubts). But I am glad that you had a good Christmas and that you have proven your existence with the Tax people. Keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are back and hope you are feeling much better. The US is in a terrible mess, too. The entire world seems to be. One day at a time is all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you back but sorry that you are having such a struggle trying to prove you exist. Bureaucracy is maddening. You seem to avoid conversations about Brexit the way we do Trump. Isn't life a kick in the pants? Your son provided a bright spot as did your friends. Hopefully made up for all the stress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder how the bureaucracy had you down as two different people. It is not surprising that you couldn't get anywhere online. People here have generally rejected doing using online government websites where they can avoid them. Yes, I think we do become more selfish as we age. We have more to protect including our health that becomes problematic in our old years. Pleased to hear you had a good Christmas. What a laugh reading out The Importance of being Ernest and haha, you got the Maggie Smith role.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A big smile on my face Friko when your post came up on my reader. I'm another who thought you'd decided not to talk to us anymore.
    Life can be a real bugger at times yet you seem to deal with your calamities with skill and determination - far more than I would. I'd have had a meltdown loud enough to be heard all the way up there!!
    Hope to 'see' you again soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Friko – glad to know you’ve had a happy time over Christmas – dealing with authority over the phone/computer is another matter … right pain and one has to have the patience of Job.

    It’s good to see you … those horrid chest infections are so trying and now with the childhood asthma resurfacing … I’m glad you’re through it. The taxman could have added to that …

    The latest Chinese virus sounds so difficult … and one wonders where it’ll all go and turn out. I think we discuss the logistics rather than ‘drill down’ to having it oneself … I’ve felt for the married couples – and their dilemmas.

    Reading the play sounds wonderful and I can imagine you as Lady Bracknell … what fun and such an ideal way of happily spending an evening …

    So pleased to see you – I went to bed, but am sure you were able to pass the Brexit wake time with friendly Remaining friends … Take care and all the best – I presume you stayed above the battlements … cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tax bureaucracy is a terrible thing, Frico. I hope your business with them will be better in April. It's nice to know that you feel better after a breast infection. Take care of yourself! Your son planted a tree - well done. I am glad that you had joyful moments at Christmas with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an absolute delight to find your post in my inbox. Recalcitrant systems, taxes, allergies and asthma, the pain of dealing with bureaucracies -- it's all so, so familiar. Well, except Brexit, of course, but then we have our own sort of difficulties over here just now: he whose name shall not be mentioned.

    I finally hied myself over to the pharmacy last night and got my flu and pneumonia shots. I've been pretty good about getting the flu shot each year, but this year's move distracted me. While I was chatting with the pharmacist, I happened to ask whether annual pneumonia shots were needed. They're not, but the last I had was in 2014, so we added that to the list.

    The next big challenge in my life is the great computer switch. I got the prim note from Microsoft that they aren't supporting my operation system anymore, so despite the fact that Windows 7Pro hasn't had a single issue for years, it's off to Windows 10 for me, lest something horrid get into my system because there aren't security patches. Ah, me. The first thing I have to do is back everything up, and I need to get that done pronto.

    Well, I've run on enough. Again, good to see you, and to know that there have been some real pleasures in your life, despite the frustrations. Here's to a happy February. How's the garden?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd have picked up the phone when the first attempt on the computer failed. now that we've retired, our income (our social security) is not enough to have to pay taxes. the IRS doesn't even want a tax return form saying it. both out countries are being run by idiots. I read somewhere recently that now that the UK is no longer part of the EU you can expect higher medicine costs (thanks to the greedy pharmaceutical companies here) and chlorinated chicken from the US. yay! that ought to make brexiters happy. good to hear you had a warm and pleasant christmas. the reading sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice to have you back in blog land and even better to hear about your Christmas. I ADORE the idea of a group reading of EARNEST -- would that my gang would enjoy such shenanigans.

    The news is dire over here as the party in power continues to ignore or rubber stamp the illegal machinations of their Dear Leader. My opinion of people in general is at an all time low.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always I enjoy reading your posts and all the comments. I hope that I am able to post this comment. I haven’t been able to do so on your last posts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy to hear from you!! I don't blame you for avoiding the frustration of the taxes (and therefore the iPad). Glad it finally got sorted!! Whew!

    How absolutely wonderful that your son came over the holidays! I hope that is a new tradition for you both.

    Awful political/governmental stuff going on here, too, in the US. Your wonderment on selfishness...well, it seems to be running rampant all over the world. I have faith that kindness and compassion will never die. Even if they seem to be taking a beating lately. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How nice to hear you had a good Christmas and not so nice chest issue. Today it is official that UK is out and in US the law gave a liar the okay to go one thus completely making a fool of a democratic legal system. Who knows what is next but we did survive the Cold War and nuclear threats along with wars so I guess we must think positively. Just enjoy what we can while we can. As long as my eyes work I shall be reading your blogs.. I have never forgottenn our very first comment exchange. Ich bleibe treu.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an interesting post. I've never had a problem paying taxes here in the States but I know plenty of people who have had to jump through hoops if they make a mistake.

    To answer your probably rhetorical question, "Does one get more selfish the older one gets?" I don't see that happening in my peer group of seniors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too enjoy seeing you here again. Hooray for your son being such a good guy and I'm glad you had such a good time with friends. I hope the asthma remains at bay and that you can avoid another chest infection.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, until you got the post-holiday plague (at least it had the courtesy to wait!) it sounded like a fabulous Christmas -- good "son time" and time with friends. I think it is wonderful and brilliant that you read "The Importance of Being Earnest" together out loud! I would LOVE that. I'm not sure I could talk people into it but oh, I'd love to try! And such a good show, too. Bravo.

    I feel for your tax woes. They should be delighted to have someone who still wants to pay taxes after Brexit. I hope the wake party was at least fun. Your observations on the world are spot on. We're in a horrid pickle over here as you no doubt know. At least much of the country feels the same even if the Senators are clueless or running scared. It will be a key election next year. I wish we could do it sooner.

    So good to see you here again and Happy New Year to you, too. It's never too late!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sounds like your tax department is equally as nightmarish as mine - I completely understand how the dealings relate to the aversion with your Mac!
    It's nice, very nice that things are going so well with your son.
    May that cough be gone - 'they' say that there's 200+ strains of cough/cold virus, I've worked out I still have 80 or so to go. Take care Friko.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad to read that your holidays went well. -troubling to read that you've had a heck of a time trying to establish who you are with HMRC. That all sounds very wearing.

    Liebes Grüssli
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that tax situation sounds really complicated.

    I am always a little astounded when people cast global misfortunes only in terms of how it might affect themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hooray! A post from Friko! Perhaps now that you've spoken with a real tax person your MAC won't be so dreaded. Glad that your Christmas went well and not glad that you had an infection, but happy to hear you're mended. There certainly is much suffering in the world and we are all so connected these days, that what affects one affects many. We have Chinese students in our school and they've been advised to not make plans to return to China for spring break.
    I hope February is a great month for you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was so sure that I wrote a comment. I am glad you are contributing again...perhaps this is better for your readers than you but your voice does have resonance for many. Be patient with the masses...they may figure it out. At least you do not have Trump and his zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  25. No worries about blogging frequency. Do what you can, when you can, and we're still glad to see ya! As for the tax story ... just goes to show, people (or most of them) are nicer than computers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So sorry to hear about your travails, but let's hope the person who started to disentangle your tax data problem sees it through to the point where you can get the records straight and easily administrable. Who knows, if you've had two records all these years, there might be something owing to you. Possibly.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is good you got your tax situation sorted out successfully; that was a lot of work and patience dealing with the bureaucracy on your part. 600 pounds sounds like too much to pay for a tax accountant, I pay about $200 here in the states for my accountant to do taxes and I thought that was pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Welcome back to the blogosphere, and of course you knew that people would still be interested in reading from you ;-)
    Glad you enjoyed Christmas (minus the chest infection).

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hurray you're back. I missed you. Lovely to hear about Son and your reading of the Importance one of my faves.
    I, an Irish citizen, had trouble getting my pension and had completely given up when a back payment hit my bank account and now I get a miserly monthly stipend but a nice Christmas bonus.
    Good for you for hanging in there with the massive red tape and absolute doltishness of these morons.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.