Saturday 6 July 2019

Old Gardener



Old Gardener has died. In the end it was all over within a few short weeks, the cancers took him quickly, I am glad to say. So there will be no more gardener’s tales over a cup of tea in the sun, no more crafty fags, no more tuneless whistle of a short sequence of notes, which never were nor ever could become a tune. Gardener, who was extremely hard-working, not always reliable, who often took umbrage when his feelings were hurt. Who fell out with his missus and son and made up again. Occasionally he fell out with me but I learned to grovel and he’d appear again as if nothing had happened.

At the beginning, many years ago, he came all day and worked all day. At lunchtime he ate his sandwiches sitting in the car, listening to the radio for half an hour; we had a mid morning cup of tea and another one in the afternoon, when Beloved joined us. After work he’d stop and sit on the terrace and talk. And talk. And talk. Usually I was ready to call it a day by then, ready to have a wash and collapse and often wished him gone. But old gardener could not be hurried when he didn’t feel like it. It was always just another cigarette. A dreadful Woodbine, one of the worst for nicotine content.

Later on, after he had a heart attack, he came for a morning once a week, maybe four hours. But even in those four hours he did the work of two men.  During the last year, until last winter, when he stopped coming altogether, he did less, sat down on a bench and rested now and then for a few minutes. His work got less careful, some jobs he simply didn’t undertake. I always forgave him, I had plenty of other problems to worry me what with Beloved falling ill and later on being poorly myself. We did what we could between us although he most certainly did the lion’s share.

Throughout his decline he continued to smoke. He said he had taken advice and now smoked filter-tipped cigarettes. He was quite pleased with  himself. When I pointed out to him that he smoked his cigarettes right down to the filter, getting the full blast of nicotine, he waved my comment away. When I told him to only half load the wheelbarrow, to lift smaller weights of bags, to turn the compost heaps over two work sessions rather than the one, he waved those concerns away too. Instead he deliberately lifted an even heavier weight with a face that said :’that’ll show her with her interfering ways’.

Gardener was 73 when he died. In this valley the ‘leaving’ age is mid eighties, there are plenty of 90 year olds. Gardener had a hard life, leaving school at 14 and going straight into farm labour where he stayed until the landowner sold his herd and gardener, who was  the cattle man, became unemployed. In late middle age he took up gardening for people. He knew nothing about it but was willing to learn, which he did, and although I had to watch him when he got too near ripping up one of my prize specimen in his eagerness for a scorched earth policy, he also learned to ask, most of the time, at least. Occasionally he dug up first and asked later but those occasions got fewer and farther between.

I am sure it was hard work and smoking which did for him. Last autumn we sat side by side on a bench in Beloved's memorial garden and talked. He told me that he had savings, of wich he was very proud, and he was looking forward to doing less and less and maybe treating himself. To what, I don’t know. Gardener knew little beyond work, his interests were few and Jane, his wife, had made him get rid of his beloved homing pigeons. “Filthy vermin” she said. Instead they adopted a little dog, a small terrier like creature, an awful yapper. He loved that little dog and could talk about her antics for hours. Jane too loved the dog, he said, but neither of them ever thought to give it a name.

While we were sitting talking and he was telling me about his savings he said “if I don’t make it at least Jane will have something to keep her going.” I was surprised that this wiry, stringy, tough old, 'horny handed son of the soil’ had a soft side and that he was willing to share it with me.

I miss you, old friend, and not only because I miss your work. There’ll never be another Austin.




31 comments:

  1. Of course you will miss him. And what a wonderful memorial post this is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute, friend Friko! Thanks for sharing it with us. I like the no name thing … a lot … because our given name at birth means nothing … at least not for me. I like it much better to be called "Mum' or "Nurse" or "cat". I want to be remembered by those names. Much love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Austin sounds like he was quite a character. Thank you for this lovely eulogy of a person who was one of a kind, for sure. Rest in peace, Old Gardener. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliantly written and richly sincere tribute to this man. I hope you shared it with his Jane and perhaps the local paper. Thank You, Dear <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a lovely tribute, Friko. Tears in my eyes here as I remember all your tribulations and victories and conversations with him over the years. He reminded me so much of my Leo who "did" for me back in the house days. Always the smoking which took him really, he was too young to go.

    You will miss him but you did him proud here. They don't make 'em like Gardener anymore.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. The old gardener wasn't that old, it seems.







    The old gardener wasn't too old, it seems.
    Apart from the obvious reasons that make people ill ( smoking, overeating, stressful work) there are also hidden ones that people come to kinow about them, if at all, too late.
    Anyway, may Austin rest in peace! Your post is a fine tribute to his character!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sad news for sure. I loved your posts about him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for your loss, a hardworking gardener and a friend. This was a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice tribute, but a dog with no name!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful tribute. He sounds like quite a character!

    ReplyDelete
  11. -moving tribute of Austin. In the photo I see a robust-looking man who has seen more than his fair share of days in the sun. Although I'm sure you have your memories, it's still lovely to have a picture as a reminder of him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a very lovely post Friko - Austin, hm, what a character, another part of your life, and not such a small one either - you liked that man, maybe even loved him - the memories are good... a gardener, a special kind of friend...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always enjoyed your posts featuring Old Gardener. And now he is gone. Your post is a lovely tribute to a hard-working, honest man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful tribute, Friko. Rest in peace, Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Friko - what a wonderful post ... Old Gardener would be so pleased with your thoughts. A delightful reverie on his life ... he did well, despite all his challenges, a true salt of the earth man. I'll always remember your tales of his life with you ... the gardening days ... he was a special help - giving you some delightful/frustrating interludes in life. We become attached to those true gems who come into our lives and remember them with comfort and amusement - at how we coped with their vagaries. Take care and have a few peaceful days in the garden remembering him ... with thoughts from a misty damp Eastbourne - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely post, Friko. He was his own man and will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful tribute. I laughed at your mention of "learning to grovel." That's an art in itself, and sometimes a necessary one. Old Gardener always reminded me of some of the old guys you find in the boatyards: gruff, crotchety, rarely if ever willing to take advice, but as good as they come. I know you'll miss him, and I'll miss the tales you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know you'll miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved your tribute too, Friko. I've often thought that all the little things people put in obits don't really matter... what matters is " he was a good man ".

    ReplyDelete
  20. A, not so old, good old countryman remembered with affection. He'd like that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some people pass through our lives and leave a great imprint on our hearts. RIP Old Gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Friko, love your words and the old gardener
    and you Friko for writing this tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a perfect memoriam to Old Gardener, who all visiting here have come to know, even if not personally, through your posts. I was astounded to find he was only 73. Yes, hard work and the smoking surely contributed. Well, he will be missed by us as readers here too. He was one of a kind, absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry for your loss, Friko. Like so many of your Followers, I had grown quite fond of Old Gardener. You will miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a sad one to read, my friend. It's so very hard to lose a friend, especially one with whom you have spent so many hours and shared so many stories. I remember many of them from your earlier posts. Indeed, a great bond to be built over digging in the dirt, making things grow. Like all blooms, it was Austin's time to fade. Even the strongest of perennials have a last bloom. This tribute is so beautifully written. I'd like to think he might know exactly what you would say.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You've conveyed him so well. I can imagine him now. It must be sad to see him go, a link with the past, but it sounds as if he was a philosophical person who knew what he was doing and did not worry. That is a huge blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so sorry to hear about your Old Gardener's departure from this life. It was about the time I began to read your blog -- not long ago -- you were writing about how he was not able to do the same amount of work as in the past. I know you are glad that you didn't lose patience with him, and were a faithful employer and friend to the end. May he rest in peace.

    Do you have any ideas for who might take his place, to help you now? I am so glad that I finally found someone to give me some assistance at least a few hours a month; there are always tasks that I will never get to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh! I am so very sorry my friend!
    What a lovely tribute to your husband.
    I know you will miss him forever...

    Sending lots of Hugs and much Love of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How lovely are your words about dear Austin.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.