Tuesday 16 April 2019

The Pursuit of Happiness

Lately I haven been thinking about happiness. Not only asking what it is but is there anyone who is likely to have more than a few months of positive happiness during a lifetime? Let’s assume that most of you are familiar with the full quote in the-declaration-of-independence, that is not what I am concerned with here. For the first time this year I heard of the annual International Day of Happiness on March 20th; this year’s theme is Happier Together, focusing on what we have in common, rather than what divides us. So this is what set me thinking of the rather strange phrase The Pursuit of Happiness, which first of all, brought me to the lines in Philip Larkin’s poem for Sally Amis, 'Born Yesterday'

In fact, may you be dull —
If that is what a skilled,
Vigilant, flexible,
Unemphasised, enthralled
Catching of happiness is called.

Nothing Earth shattering, gut busting, deliriously heart palpitating here, nothing pursued at full tilt, nothing desperately grabbed and held and jealously guarded here.

How can you pursue happiness? Isn’t it rather something that falls to your lot unexpectedly, that catches you unawares; if I were to set out to be truly happy deliberately, I wouldn’t have the first idea how to go about it. I am more likely to follow Emily Dickinson's’ Little Stone, of which she asks:

How happy is the little Stone
That rambles in the Road alone,
And doesn’t care about Careers
And Exigencies never fears —
Whose Coat of elemental Brown
A passing Universe put on,
And independent as the Sun
Associates or glows alone,
Fulfilling absolute Decree
In casual simplicity —

Independence, without a care in the world, not seriously striving but rambling happily, are what set the little stone - and therefore us - on the path to happiness.

Even simpler - and more fun is AA Milne’s John who

          had
Great Big
Waterproof
Boots on;
John had a
Great Big
Waterproof
Hat;
John had a
Great Big
Waterproof
Mackintosh --
And that
(Said John)
Is
That.

Yes, John and that great big puddle is waiting for you and what greater happiness can there be than jumping right in with both feet?

But Judith Viorst, the American writer, newspaper journalist, and psychoanalysis researcher - someone I had not come across before I ruminated about happiness - and what a happy find she turned out to be - sums it up for me perfectly:

Happiness (Reconsidered)

Is a clean bill of health from the doctor,
And the kids shouldn't move back home for
more than a year,
And not being audited, overdrawn, in Wilkes-Barre,
in a lawsuit or in traction.

Happiness
Is falling asleep without Valium,
And having two breasts to put in my brassiere,
And not (yet) needing to get my blood pressure lowered,
my eyelids raised or a second opinion.

And on Saturday nights
When my husband and I have rented
Something with Fred Astaire for the VCR,
And we're sitting around in our robes discussing,
The state of the world, back exercises, our Keoghs,
And whether to fix the transmission or buy a new car,
And we're eating a pint of rum-raisin ice cream
on the grounds that
Tomorrow we're starting a diet of fish, fruit and grain,
And my dad's in Miami dating a very nice widow,
And no one we love is in serious trouble or pain,
And our bringing-up-baby days are far behind us,
But our senior-citizen days have not begun,
It's not what I called happiness
When I was twenty-one,
But it's turning out to be
What happiness is.

None of the poets and writers here has mentioned the one cause of happiness that started me off on my small quest: other people. I may leave that for the next post.



26 comments:

  1. Very interesting food for thought dear Friko.

    Have a lovely Easter week and Easter Sunday ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting perspectives...I await your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a clean bill of health is right up there on my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never pondered it too closely. My fear being that if I give it much thought I might decide that most of my life has been unhappy. I think that my happiness lies in the moments and not in large chunks of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happiness comes in many ways, and you provided some of them to ponder. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good health is never thought of when we are young, however, good health in our later years is a joy and never taken for granted. Happiness is different things at different times in our lives. Other people can be a blessing because loneliness is hard. I am so looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes it is not easy to be happy and stay that way. I enjoyed reading your words but my heart is very sad. My husband of 51 years died 5 months ago, then his cat who had lived with us 15 years died 3 weeks ago. Last Friday I drove from Nashville to Georgia to clear the house again. Spring is here, flowers everywhere; sun is shining and I wrote my 10 years anniversary post – I was happy on Sunday. Then yesterday Notre-Dame de Paris burnt. I think the first time I saw her I was as a wee child when mother made me walk all over Paris on Liberation Day and we heard de Gaulle talk in front of Notre-Dame, that was on August 25, 1944! Then I saw her daily while going to school – it’s hard to believe that such a catastrophe could happen. I heard that already today more that 700 million Euros have been pledged to help her. I am not a believer, and most Parisians are not either, but she is part of what we are and it is not easy to think of happiness right now, but we must try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very sorry for your loss, Vagabonde. And, oh, my what memories you have of Paris on Liberation Day! x

      Delete
  8. Love, love this post. Philip Larkin, Emily, Dickinson, and John in his great big waterproof boots.? Three of some of my favorite things - with that wonderful summary from Jusith Viorst - you caused a lot of happiness right there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots to ponder. Thank you so much for the introduction to Judith Viorst. In all the essentials she nailed it for me too. I think I would describe is as contentment, but it is no less welcome whatever the name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happiness - oh yes, what is that? Loving yourself and feeling good about yourself I think - and I darn say with or without breasts - because the issue is we all have to deal with some of the stuff this Judith writes about, and it should mean we can not be happy? And I think for real happiness the cause can never be other people, they can provide pink clouds, and we walk on them for a while, but for our soul to be content the responsibility is ours alone, searching for what makes us loving each new day, inspite of what life has in store for us.
    Salvador Dali said:
    "Every morning when I wake up, I experience again a supreme pleasure - that of being Salvador Dali."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feeling comfortable in one's own skin, in one's own life - without being complacent - is my personal definition of happiness. Lots of factors contribute, such as health, money, good food, music, books, peace (as in the absence of war), sunshine, and of course other people. But none of those factors alone can ever be responsible for me being happy or unhappy, only contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Friko - you've mentioned much ... those happy days of yore, today and I'm sure tomorrow in their comforting way - but yes ... people are the icing on the cake - the love and comfort we have with old and new friends as we pass through life. Yael reminds us via Salvador Dali - we're what makes us be happy and at peace with where we're at in the world.

    Have a peaceful Easter weekend ... the weather is warming - which makes me happier, others prefer the cooler climes - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are things that make us happy-- for a while. Good health. Good looks. Cupcakes. But we were made for more than this. What continues to matter after the cupcakes are gone? The things here in this world are not enough to fulfill us long-term. That's why we yearn for more. We are supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're so right Friko. Chasing happiness is like trying to catch a moonbeam. The harder we try to more elusive it becomes. But when we're just living, fully living each moment, it can surprise us. I think our definition of happiness becomes much simpler as we get older. When we realize that our days are running out we savor each one more. Great topic, great quotes. Happy Easter to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. happiness is fleeting. we should strive for general contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happiness is a fleeting thing of the moment. I like Ellen's comment about general contentment which is perhaps not as flashy as happiness. Then there's deep joy which I think comes from knowing one's place in the greater scheme of things, and being held in love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. True Joy must come from within. External forces come and go, but happiness can come at any moment. Sometimes it is just something you noticed or something someone says that put a smile on your face. Find it wherever you can.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a very thought-provoking post. I can see why you went on a quest (and I love the VIorst most too.) I think I am basically pretty much happy 90 percent of the time. The times I'm not is when I (or someone I love) are really ill or dying or if I'm a little overstressed. I may get a little pissed off at times, but rarely angry. But when I'm not happy, I know how to find it quite often because I know what DOES make me happy and when I'm not, I might go seeking Harry the Heron or take a swim if I'm at the lake or a walk, or read a favorite book or watch something I enjoy on video or bake or paint. And then I fall into happy once again. Or at the very worst, contented, which is a pretty darned good "worst!"(I like contented.) And yes, other people often help too. I'll be eager to read your take on that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the pursuit of happiness is rather empty, what a great post Friko. My whole goal in life, and it was a goal that fell to me latterly (last 15 years or so), was contentment: with what I have, who I am, where I'm going.
    Not many can say that. I am content most of the time. And that is so precious as to be beyond any hopes I ever had.
    And sometimes I experience bliss. Birds, a flower, the rolling ocean, an iceberg, a whale.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I was born there was no happiness … when I grew up there was no happiness … when I fell in love there was happiness … when I gave birth to my kidlets there was happiness … but greatest happiness I feel when I am alone, friend Friko. Much love says this Alberta cat and her cat Theo. https://youtu.be/BZFPubstu34

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joy, inner peace, baby giggles, make me happy and more so lead to my contentment. Thanks for posting the words of wisdom. I enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I was young (very young) I tended to equate happiness with having fun. I suspect most of us do, at least at some times in our lives. Happiness was interlaced with events, which we longed for, and then regretted once they were gone.

    Today? I never would equate happiness with an event, or a person for that matter. In fact, I wouldn't even equate it with a particular emotion. And it can't be sought, or chased, or demanded. It simply comes, now and then. I may be in the middle of traffic when I suddenly think, "I really am happy." I think "contented" is a better way of putting it. Do I have frustrations? worries and anxieties? Of course, But in some very strange way, they co-exist with happiness, and that's something I never would have expected.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have learned that we truly do choose. At least largely! I'm choosing happiness in the moment as your final piece explains so well. Giving my attention to present good, rather than speculative issues or the larger world which I try to subject to a 'larger view' in these times. Wishing YOU Happiness as always, Dear

    ReplyDelete
  24. Perhaps there are different kinds of happiness or maybe other words better describe some of those experiences. I definitely think of happiness as a state of mind, an attitude, a point of view, our perception or interpretation of what is occurring in our life. Different feelings can accompany happiness but contentment is definitely one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happiness is not an reward or end product; happiness is quiet sense of contentment things are good enough as they are, there is no need to alter or better things. It is not spectacular; it is often so subtle we don't realize it is happiness until something comes along to knock it into the past.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.