Saturday 6 April 2019

. . . . and what’s more, be kind to me.

guarding Mum’s sandals
Did you know that dogs can have dementia? It came as a huge surprise to me the last time I took Millie to the Vet. She has been behaving very strangely recently; although she is as sweet-natured as ever, she has developed unusual quirks and at times she is hard to live with.

I think I’ve mentioned before that she has been suffering TIAs, in full: " transient ischaemic attacks”, or mini strokes. She usually recovers completely within a couple of hours. I first notice that something is wrong because she starts scrabbling about without being able to move from the spot where she’s lying. She becomes agitated, her head turns first this way then the other over her shoulder, left and right , left and right. She tries her legs, wanting to get up, maybe to escape? Her hind legs simply won’t work, they tremble and twitch and after a while she gives up. By then I am usually on the floor beside her, stroking her, calming her, reassuring her. Acc. to the Vet there’s nothing else I can do, just wait for the attack to abate and see what happens afterwards. Twice I’ve called a fireman out to carry her downstairs when the attacks happened upstairs.

Being Millie, a greedy labrador, she usually wants food and drink within a few hours, and she also totters outside for a pee, still none too certain of her legs. These attacks happen maybe every two to three weeks.

As in humans, TIAs eventually bring on dementia. Millie is 14 years old now, a very good age indeed and I must prepare myself for a serious decline fairly soon. In the meantime there are these strange behaviour patterns. Again, as in humans, the dog with dementia is often confused, not entirely certain of her surroundings. The other day, while we were out for a very truncated walk, she greeted complete strangers like long-lost friends and followed them into a house. I can call her until I am hoarse, being as deaf as a post, she does not react at all and I’ve got to run to catch her by the collar. Going to the village shop yesterday she suddenly decided in the middle of the busy road that she wasn’t going to cross over and just stopped dead. As we had just reached the part where the road abruptly changes direction we were not visible from either side and in genuine danger of being run over by anyone coming round the sharp bend. I asked a lady passing by for help, by pretending to hold a treat out to Millie and walking backwards towards the pavement, while I shoved from behind. Millie was utterly put out when she realised we had played a trick on her and refused to let me tie her to the post outside the shop for ages. I had to drag on her lead until she almost choked. It is really quite distressing. I shan’t take her into the village again, she has the castle grounds right outside several of our garden gates; there she can dawdle and sniff and pester visitors to her heart’s content. Most of them stroke and cuddle her. “Aw Bless”, they say, and “how old is she?” and “isn’t she friendly?"

Changing circadian rhythms is another symptom of dementia. A dog may have been the most peaceful and amenable creature up to the onset of dementia - again exactly the same as in human sufferers - they will now decide that nighttime is for exercise, not sleep. At least once in the night, sometimes twice, Millie will wake me and ask to be let out. I have to get up and open the back door because I don’t want to risk “accidents”, which have actually happened several times. Luckily (eh?) she decides to use the kitchen and scullery for her nighttime toilet habits, here I can pick up after her easily (you know the thing where you stick your hand in a poo bag and grab) and washing and disinfecting the floor is no big deal. Sometimes I think she is deliberately being obstreperous, she may have been for her last outing at midnight - I go to bed late - having had every opportunity to empty herself then, but, no, she waits until I am fast asleep.

And yet. She is as affectionate and sweet as ever, she loves her food, her little walks, meeting her special friends (she can smell treats in another dog walker’s pocket from a long way away) and is usually calm and peaceful. I cannot possibly have her “put to sleep” while she appears to be happy and contented. It’ll happen soon enough.




24 comments:

  1. She looks like a love. -seems to be doing a good job of guarding your sandals as well!

    It's a shame to read that she's suffering a bit at the moment. I imagine you trying to retrieve her once she's gone off after new-found friends. That sounds trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are doing all you can. I wonder though whether you have friends who can help by checking on you and Millie? This is a tough situation. When I was taking care of a terminally ill pet, the vets warned me against getting too tired lest my health be impacted. It was a constant juggling act for us. I completely understand about not rushing to put Millie to sleep. I hope you can enjoy some of the time left to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally sympathize with you, it is very rough considering your other major loss and connection of her with that too.

    When I had such challenges with beloved pets and the new idiosyncrasies in behaviour and attitude good advice that I've passed on to other loving pet owners was: "It's better to be a week too early than a day too late."

    You will know when the time comes.

    Big hug.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to learn of Millie's decline, and the impact it is having on you. It cannot be easy to consider what's ahead, and I wish both you and her many days and months of quiet serenity. As Wisewebwoman said, you'll know when the time comes, and it's not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you don't mind a bad joke ... our dog is so dumb you'd never be able to tell if she has dementia. Okay, sorry. Anyway, our dog, too, at age 13 is getting old, and it is a very sad thing to see them decline, no matter what form it takes. I guess all we can do is love them, and be ready for when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now your blog is completely closed and there’s no way anyone can comment on it. if that’s not how you want it you’ll have to beg Google for mercy.

      Delete
  6. We keep humans alive for as long as possible, yet we kindly and lovingly decide with our pets about their quality and happiness of their life. A sad time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post made me cry so hard, friend Friko … Remembering my Piwo, also a black lab and he had those swimming fins between his front toes to prove it … smiles … I still have his necklace … Friko, whishing you and Millie many more good days. Much love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is hard having an elderly pet, but we have to do the best for them:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learned a lot reading this. My dog is about 8, he was found running loose and I adopted him from the shelter, so no one knows his actual age. A friend's dog had a TIA like you describe, I did not know that dogs can get dementia, how sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My little Fuzzy Pomeranian (14 years old) did a similar thing a couple of weeks ago. He had awakened from sleep and followed me to the other room as always. He lay down, but then he was suddenly struggling to get up, and just plopped over on his side and let out a loud cry and just laid there on his side seemingly unable to move. I assumed he was having some sort of muscle spasm from his arthritis. I gently picked him up,took him to my chair, and sat and held him on my lap and loved on him and talked to him (even though he is deaf).He seemed fine then, so I put him back down on the floor and I held onto him until I was sure he was able to walk. He was. He seemed fine. His hind legs do seem stiffer now though. He still seems bright as ever, and I haven't seen any other signs of dementia since then. I am hoping it was a muscle spasm in him.

    Before we had Fuzzy, we had a giant collie. He developed dementia and would somehow end up standing in one corner or another, and then not be able to figure out how to get out of the corner without coaxing, and being pulled. We found him dead one morning not too long after that symptom developed. He was 15 years old. He weighed by that time about 90 lbs, (we especially had searched for a collie with a lineage of very large collies in the background). My husband and I (mostly my husband) were barely able to lift him into our van to take his body to the vet. It was horrible. He had always been such a sweet, gentle giant.

    May you and Millie enjoy this time together for as long as you can. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Friko - I have to say it hadn't occurred to me that dogs, or presumably any animals, could age in a similar way to us. I do feel for you - but it seems you understand her and are realising what she's dealing with ... as you say love and care for her as long as is feasibly possible, until the desperately sad time comes along. With many thoughts for you both - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. As exhausting as it is, you will love Millie through all the frustrations. I love the quote: Better a week too early than a day too late. Wishing you and your old girl peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You will know when the time is right to give her the gift of final freedom -- she will tell you. Till then, I can't think of anything more you could do that would be loving and give back to her all the joy and care and companionship she has given you. You're a wonderful "mom" to her and I know she loves you so very much. (You're lucky she does her mess on the kitchen floor. Lizzie always seems to hurl on the carpet. We do what we must.)

    I didn't know this about animals with the TIAs and dementia, so thanks for sharing that. Fourteen is a long time to love and build that closeness and I don't envy you the inevitable, but it sounds like you have awhile yet. I know you will cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. poor Millie. It must be very confusing for her. my dog is still young, only 4, and while she may not have dementia she is very neurotic about rain especially when it is accompanied by lightning and thunder. she's in my lap right now, a quivering panting mess and there is nothing to be done about it. just wait for it to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just be there for her and enjoy her company. I know she enjoys yours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Friko. It's so hard. As traumatic as my loss of Dixie Rose was for me, it clearly was a traumatic experience for her, too, and I'm just glad things happened so quickly. Of course, at age 18, it's not surprising that her time came as it did.

    Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could really talk to them? Of course, even very young children can't always tell us 'where it hurts.' Learning to be attuned to their experiences -- both children and pets -- is so important. You're obviously attuned to Millie, and she to you. It will make things easier, even when they seem so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Millie is fortunate to have you -- and you her. You'll know when it's time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's good that you are giving her a contented old age. And lucky that she doesn't have any idea of what is going on. I am sure you'll know when is the best time to call it a day, if that time actually comes at all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, I know that cats as well as dogs can have strokes and dementia. We had one cat that had several strokes and walked in circles... but she could get to her food, water, and litter box and seemed to not be in any pain. She lived to be 19. And another that lived to be 23 and would walk into a room, stand there for a few minutes (as if she forgot what she was doing) and then walk back and lie down. Sometimes she would walk and stand with her head on the wall... but again, she was loved and cared for... and given whatever she wanted.

    You'll know when the time is right. For me it's when they are completely incapacitated and look at you like they're pleading, "do something".

    ReplyDelete
  20. She has a wonderful, sweet face. I lost my collie to a stroke when he was 14. I miss him still and now that I have read this, I think he may have been having some small strokes along the way. He would appear to be confused a lot. The last dog I lost was my 17 year old Doxie, Oscar. He was a tyrant to all but me. I was his person and he showed me great affection. Unlike your sweet dog, Oscar never was house trained. He went out when HE wanted to go out and expected us to all clean up after him. I loved him so much, but his name should have been Trump!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How sad for your beloved dog and you. Neuro changes can have all sorts of effects on all animals, we just usually think only of people having TIAs, strokes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another season with it's joys and losses. . . . And then Spring of a new rescued companion one hopes

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.