Wednesday 4 May 2011

The Day The Mountain Caught Fire

WILLOW'S MAGPIE No. 64

The day the mountain caught fire, I took you out on to the verandah. Holding you tight, I showed you the smouldering flames and you laughed happily. Fire was kind; you had seen fires in the grate which kept you warm and gave you light; you had already seen the first  fires lit in the garden, which baked apples and potatoes for you. Fires didn't frighten you then,  fire was good, as fire had been for the first ancestors of modern man, who learnt to control it. Traces of fire had been found dating back to the earliest stone age, nearly 800.000 years ago.

You cried and struggled in my arms when I turned my back on the burning mountain, you wanted to watch the flames and the smoke rising into the yellowing skies; from time immemorial man has been fascinated by fire, you, at the beginning of your own life on earth found a deep well of primitive delight within you at the sight of the burning hillside.

The day would come when fire on the mountain would become a noble enemy to be watched closely, to be fought and mastered;  when you would join your father and brothers in that dangerous task, when you would risk your life to keep your home and those you loved, safe.  Your fascination with fire would never cease, you would learn to live with it, make it your willing servant, but you would also learn not to trust it.

23 comments:

  1. Hello:
    A most effective piece of writing to accompany the image. And so true, for can fire ever be trusted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful insight, Friko!
    Yes, both sides are equally true. Like in almost everything, maybe without exception. You are very powerful with words. Always make me think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good response to the picture. Fire is like so many things -- capable of good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! When I was small, my grandfather taught me how to light a bonfire. I remembering him emphasising that fire was a good servant, but a bad master.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story immediately drew me in. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah excellent snippet friko...always fascinated, but no never trust it...i find fire rather fascinating...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The associations, particularly first associations, we have with something, matter such a great deal, don't they? They are what we must contend with as we become adults, as we "learn not to trust it."

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow friko - i would've missed the smoke plumes but this piece carries me inside the image even further!! steven

    ReplyDelete
  9. excellent vignette


    Aloha from Hawaii


    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your story is ancient ... true ... enduring. Yes, I find your words to be enduringas this mother's love is for her child.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a moving story and so true!! And it fits well with that painting!
    It is like a bedtime story told to children by their mothers.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  12. As an outdoorsman and survivalist, fire is my friend. As a volunteer firefighter, it is my mortal enemy. As a science geek, a source of endless wonder and fascination. As a hopeless romantic, fire is beautiful and inspiring.

    Fire can kill and destroy, yet it can also warm the heart and mind and body and soul - that makes it one of the most powerful forces in the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, what you can do with words, Friko.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous tribute to the heros who watch over all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The powers of Nature are not to be dismissed. Fire is entrancing and dangerous and I commend those who work with it and against it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful write, Friko. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your imagination, like fire, is one
    of the the powerful forces in the
    universe. This little vignette is
    so very complete, layered with nuance,
    like a small novella, a short story
    dwarfed to three fecund paragraphs;
    some of your best work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I live in Hawaii, the Mauna Loa crater, Kiluea erupted. Awesome sight. Filled the blue skies with ash for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Since I was a small child, the sight of a red sky at night has frightened me ... you have written a most impressive Magpie this week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've enjoyed the spin on this Magpie! You're amazing, missus!

    ReplyDelete
  21. No, one should never trust fire. Wonderful Magpie, Friko. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, I like to know what you think of my posts. I know you'll keep it civil.